SL/R129: Going to do Winter with the Soft Top

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
1999 SL 500 & 2011 E 550 4Matic
Going to do Winter with the Soft Top

For the past 3 winters we have switched to the panorama roof in December. That is nice ... but we enjoy top down driving so much we don't want to give it up this year!

Today was 14.5 degrees C (58 F) and sunney. It was a great day to run errands arround town. Heater on & blasting down to our feet. Dash heater bootser on & pointed at my hands on the steering wheel. Seat warmers on.

We are thinking of going year round with the soft top this year.

The car is usually parked in an underground parkade. There is no real need to take her out when it rains cats & dogs. As it does for weeks on end in Vancouver. However it is still fun to drive in the rain.

To drop the top on a nice sunney winter day is heaven. You just can't beat the feeling of grabbing a sunney day from the clutches of winter!

I just washed, scrubed and rinced the soft top today (Mother's convertible top detergent).

I'll put a good coating of 303 High TechFabric Guard (a marine bimmy top product) on tomorrow. That really makes the water bead on the canvas!

If I had a R230 we would not be having this thread.

I know BlueSL will advise that cool temperatures will lead to plastic rear window cracking. That is good advise. however, I know we will not be parking in low temperatures for long.

You can press the "Rest" button on the A/C control within 30 seconds of turning the car off to squese out the last bit of heat from the engine when parked and vacated. We do that for our maltese dog Muffey any way.

Last edited by ChrisB; 10-30-2005 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
SL 55 , Infinity FX37, Aprilia Caponord Rally
14 C and top down,man you're brave..
we have 24 C here at the moment and the whole of the SL club has put its
hard top back on...
Freezing ,even in the sun is not pleasant.
I wouldn't mind having a bike helmet on though,it would make it more bearable.
I wonder if one can fit the whole airscarf system from the new SLK..That would be cool..
Anyway,Chris,happy winter motoring.....
The one good thing about the soft top is that it does not leak like the hard top does!!!
Old 10-30-2005, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500 2001 Formula 1 Edition;
I would be careful if I were you (and it sounds like you are taking the correct precautions). But I live in very sunny Southern California, and I've noticed a few R129's that people keep the hardtop off in the winter -- the tops end up looking ratty. I don't know how people can let these wonderful cars deterioate like that. Most of these babies . . . at one point people, when these babies were new, thought enough of them to pay $80,000 to $110,000, and now they let them fall apart. It breaks my heart.

So, Chris, please don't let your baby's top get hurt. That's all.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:24 PM

96 SL500, 97 E420
I put my hardtop on last Sunday as the air is definitely cooler now. And yes it is tempting with temps in the 70's - 80's to want to take it off. But I only drive mine on the weekends and it looks great with the hardtop on. I prefer to drive in the evening/night with the top down than in the day so till April I'm guessing my hardtop will be on.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:23 PM

2002 SL500
Hi ChrisB:

The pano hard top was a key selling point when I bought my SL, but it's been collecting dust in the garage for many months. We drove home last night with the soft top down and outside temp at 55 F (13 C), and we had the heat blasting and seat warmers on. You folks up North are made of sterner stuff. Enjoy that top down driving!

Will
Old 10-30-2005, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by hotel_calif
We drove home last night with the soft top down and outside temp at 55 F (13 C), and we had the heat blasting and seat warmers on.
Glad to see you are enjoying the car in cooler temperatures as well.

It was raining hard here today. I wanted to do our running arround in the SL. So there has been no chance to put the fabric guard on.

I don't like parking the car in our parkade with a wet top even in the up position. I will often towel it off so the water drops don't soak in or need to evaporate.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:15 PM

1998 E320, 1994 320 SL,2000 Ford F 150.1997 Gixxer 1100
I never ever take my SL out in the winter. I leave my soft top up instead of installing the hard top. My fear is that leaving the soft top in a folded position from mid December to late April will permanently crease or crack the rear window. An I justified in thinking this? Let me know.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:42 AM

500 SL R129, Blue - 1991. Mini Cooper S, Works Kit Silver - 2007. Mitsubishi FTO, Silver - 1996.
Originally Posted by kerrypacker
....leaving the soft top in a folded position from mid December to late April will permanently crease or crack the rear window. An I justified in thinking this? Let me know.
I have no choice but to leave mine folded away during the winter because it is so wet and cold here from November to March... though it's a nice day today, and we have had record warm days for the past few weeks. Did you hear that the North Pole is going to have it's first summer without any snow next year? I can't believe it, I thoiught the North Pole was just solid ice???

Anyway, er yes I find that the window starts to look a bit duller over time, especially when I bring it back up. HOWEVER this is probably due to it's exposure to light... As far as the creasing goes, mine was new recently and it wasn't particularly well fitted. I noticed too late(!!!) that the window was creasing to a point in the centre and I was so upset... I know the guy that fitted it knew it was doing it, because when I checked the work he slapped it to make sure it folded properly... I didn't take much notice because I was so happy I had a new top...

When I realised what was happening I made sure it folded properly after that. My honest opinion is that as long as it's folded properly it won't crease, and it's probably better folded away than exposed 24/7 as sunlight and weather are definitely going to cause more damage than if it was folded away.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:54 AM

Folding the top won't crease the window..use that special cream on the window ,once your top is back up in spring..It should bring it back to new..
In winter,your soft top is better protected folded down..That's why they made a hard top for the SL..
Old 11-01-2005, 09:01 AM

1998 E320, 1994 320 SL,2000 Ford F 150.1997 Gixxer 1100
Dafi129... What special cream ?
Old 12-03-2005, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It has been cold lately in Vancouver. Near freezing with a few inches of snow that is not going away.

The road grime is getting pretty bad in these conditions. I do not want to have that stain my light colored soft top.

We intended to put the panorama roof on this morning but ran out of time.

As it turned out the sky was partly cloudy the temperature was 7.5 C (45 F) when we decided to drop the top :v . The roads were dry.

The 3/4 hr drive on the freeway and through the streets of down town had us encountering 3.5 C (38 F) temperatures.

With the heaters on at our feet and boosted out of the dash and with the seat warmers on ... it was nice. With a couple of inches of snow in the ditches and snow in the mountains in the distance ... we got a lot of inquisitive looks from other motorists and pedestrians.

We really stole a nice top down drive from winter today . I love doing that. Winters are so long and miserable here.

I saw two other convertibles today (both Boxters) with their tops down. And may others convertibles who had drivers that were not as adventurous.

We will be putting the panorama roof on tomorrow .

Last edited by ChrisB; 12-03-2005 at 10:16 PM.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My wife & I put the panorama roof on today. Including getting the top out of our storeage room it only took 20 minutes.

I layed out a thick band of newspapers on the flanks of the trunk / rear quarter pannels this year to avoid a touch down type scratch that happened last year.

We seem to be getting better at the top placement. It was easy this year. The third time we have done it.

Now we can defrost the back window and not worry about damaging the soft top.

I put a towel in the fould of the plastic rear window as the top was foulding away. Following the advice I read on other posts.

Looking foreward to April 2006 to go back to soft top driving.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:17 AM

2002 SL500
Drive on down to San Diego, ChrisB, when you feel the need for some top-down driving. It was sunny and high 60's today.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'93 SL500
I've regularly driven in <10C open top and it's GREAT, thoroughly recommend it as there's nothing like that cool air in your hair coupled with warm feet - however sometimes you just need a bit more heat from the heating system! And that's saying something considering there's a huge V8 pumping out more heat that it knows what to do with.

<24C - Some of you guys really should try a spell in the UK ;-)

BTW - I suspect it's the UV that destroys the plastic material's plasticity, couple this with the stress of folding in the centre - cracks will appear eventually - fill the window with moisturiser.

I need a new rear window for this exact reason

Lea
Old 12-05-2005, 06:22 AM

That's why you can buy that cream/moisturiser for your rear plastic window..
It keeps it from cracking and always clean.
I bought mine from BMW for their cabrios...It does the job...
You people are all brave..I cannot drop the top unless it's over 25C..
That's the reason why I never bought a cabrio when I lived in the UK..
Mind you ,I had a bike[Ducati] and rode that all year round..
But on a bike,you're better protected from the elements with all that leather
and helmet..It's like a sauna even in winter..
Plus,a soft top is not made for winter weather..It will deteriorate quickly...
To save it,fold it ...
Old 12-19-2005, 08:02 PM

1995 SL 320
plastic window cleaner

MaGuires makes rear plastic window cleaner and conditioner.It is fantastik.It brings back your window to near new clarity and keeps the plastic soft and flexible.I use it on my Sl320 often.MB also makes a convertible top spray that reconditions the fabric and brings back the original new look and waterproofs it also.It costs $12.00 per can and works very well.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My wife & took the panorama roof off yesterday. Including putting the top baxk into our storeage room it only took 20 minutes.

I again layed out a thick band of newspapers on the flanks of the trunk / rear quarter pannels to avoid a touch down type scratch that happened one other year.

So far we have been rewarded with two brilliant sunney days for top down driving .

11 degrees C (52 F) and only going to get better.

Dec 4/05 on .... March 11/06 off. 3 months of very little top down potential in Vancouver.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

About one month to go and we will be top down again!

I can hardly wait.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:31 AM

2002 SL500
Hang In There

Hi Chris:

We had a hot spell in mid-80's F a few weeks ago and really got to enjoy going top-down. Thanks to your posting though, I am now going to enjoy the "freezing" mid-60's we are having in San Diego now. Thanks for helping me (and all of us SL owners in SoCal) keep the proper perspective!

Will
Old 02-10-2007, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by hotel_calif
Hi Chris:

We had a hot spell in mid-80's F a few weeks ago and really got to enjoy going top-down. Thanks to your posting though, I am now going to enjoy the "freezing" mid-60's we are having in San Diego now. Thanks for helping me (and all of us SL owners in SoCal) keep the proper perspective!

Will
Not that I have the car out much in the salty slop, this is our 14th straight day below freezing. There are ice cubes on my back porch from last week's Super Bowl party still sitting there...I'll keep my hard top through March..
Old 02-10-2007, 01:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
Originally Posted by dafi129
Folding the top won't crease the window..use that special cream on the window ,once your top is back up in spring..It should bring it back to new..
In winter,your soft top is better protected folded down..That's why they made a hard top for the SL..
also helps to roll a towel in the crease of the plastic window when folding away the soft top; this will catch any stray moisture.