SL/R129: Navigation System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Navigation System

I'm sure you're all familiar with cell phone unit mounted above the center console. (The cover closes and lays flush with the dash.) I was wondering if it would be possible to remove that unit and insert a retractable screen navigation system in its place. That way, with the cover down, I can maintain the flush stock look, yet have a Navigation System at my disposal beneath it. Does anyone know of a product which will fit? Can it be done? "Has" it been done?

Regards
Old 12-28-2005, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
some
i dont have the cell built in into my car, and i have been wondering if a navi could be put inthere also. humm....

mark
Old 12-28-2005, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R230 SL63 | W220 S55
I think it would cool. The compartment lid slides up and the nav screen comes out.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
500 SL R129, Blue - 1991. Mini Cooper S, Works Kit Silver - 2007. Mitsubishi FTO, Silver - 1996.
Originally Posted by HLG600
Does anyone know of a product which will fit? Can it be done? "Has" it been done?

Regards
Do you mean the compartment that houses the onboard computer, and in older ones... sunglasses?

This is a good question, I've never seen it but I would love to do it for the same reason... is there enough room behind for a unit to fit? I would definitely do it if it were possible.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:32 PM

SL500 2001 Formula 1 Edition;
In Southern California, USA, we have a housing crunch. I rented mine out to illegal immigrants.

No, really . . . it would be interesting to expand this thread to cover what types of things people have installed in that little sun glass case. I keep my sun glasses there, but it would be kind of a james bondish cool thing to have a nifty laser beam or something in there.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:51 PM
Almost a Member!

300E 2.5; 2001 SL500
Did you install a Nav Unit?

did you ever get a solution for a nav unit? I own a 2001 500SL and want so bad to put a unit in. Considered a portable however Im sick of items sticking outside and requiring cables i.e. mp3 players. I've looked at the commercial models via Best Buy and Circuit City..not sure thats the better way to go about it.

Also noticed you were located in NJ. Congratulations on becoming a super member! This means I will bother you often. Can you recommend shops in NJ that may specialize in putting in Stereo systems and nav units? I am very particular and want good products with excellent support and installation procedures.

Located in Central NJ
Old 02-23-2006, 11:20 AM

97 SL500
I thought about the same thing for a DIN sized nav unit with flip screen or just an aftermarket radio without the folding screen to keep the stock look in the dash. I haven't measured the compartment but see two potential problems.

1. I don't think there is enough depth for most of DIN sized units but, again, I haven't measured the compartment.
2. Most of the flip screen units I've seen can be set to manual open but could be damaged if it tries to open with the compartment door closed. With enough $$$ I'm sure the door could be automated to avoid this.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Originally Posted by REDTEES
did you ever get a solution for a nav unit? I own a 2001 500SL and want so bad to put a unit in. Considered a portable however Im sick of items sticking outside and requiring cables i.e. mp3 players. I've looked at the commercial models via Best Buy and Circuit City..not sure thats the better way to go about it.

Also noticed you were located in NJ. Congratulations on becoming a super member! This means I will bother you often. Can you recommend shops in NJ that may specialize in putting in Stereo systems and nav units? I am very particular and want good products with excellent support and installation procedures.

Located in Central NJ
Bother me all you want, I'd be more than glad to help in anyway I can. One shop I can recommend is Wolfgang's in Tenafly, NJ. The man is a Mercedes expert and specializes in both maintenence and restoration of both classic and late model Benzs. He can get a little pricey, but you get what you pay for, he is a real professional. Now, in regards with the nav, I am currently contemplating to get a $700 Magellan Roadmate system. Much less $$ and hassle then modifying the dash and fitting one in. Plus, its a great system and bascially is plug and play. Since I have not done any audio modifications on my car (the BOSE setup works fine for me), I can't recommend any shops from my own experience. But I can recommend one thing. I used the tape deck connector from and old mini disc player I had to hook up my iPod to the car's stereo. It works great. True there is a wire running from the tape deck to the center compartment, but I really could care less considering that I have my 1300+ songs ready for listening. Good Luck with your car!

HLG
Old 02-23-2006, 10:21 PM
JAM

SL600
Originally Posted by b4mmy
Do you mean the compartment that houses the onboard computer, and in older ones... sunglasses?

This is a good question, I've never seen it but I would love to do it for the same reason... is there enough room behind for a unit to fit? I would definitely do it if it were possible.
I've always wondered why they nevr offered the onboard computer option in the U.S. I believe the display was behind the flip up door that we are discussing, and the controls were in the center console behind the gear shift.

If you could post some pics of the R129 onboard computer, I think it would be interesting for all of to see....

Back on topic, although it is a great idea, it does not appear that there is enough room for a flip out NAV system, at least none that I have seen. I would like to do something unique with that compartment...