SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
600SL AMG (R129)
Angry Help

[B]Hi Just Joined forum.I have an SL 600 R129 Silver 99000 miles.Ive had it for the last 8 years.Drove it everyday for about 4 years and then only drove it weekends.I took it out of storage this summer and have nothing but trouble with it to date.Here is my question?.As i have had this car to 4 merc dealers in the last 6 mts every time it comes back it has a new problem.In 3 mts i have replaced the gearbox,Control unit for drivers window,Control unit for SRS,Replaced the stereo,Arial.The current problem is the anti skid control,at least thats what im told.This garage has it a month and tells me he cant get a wiring diagram for it.I wanted to hear from anybody in the uk or N.Ireland,or Rep of Ireland,who could recommend a garage who knows some thing about SL600 s. I have a few pictures attached.
Attached Thumbnails Help-p3302833a.jpg  

Last edited by RADO SL600 AMG; 01-03-2006 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:45 PM

500 SL R129, Blue - 1991. Mini Cooper S, Works Kit Silver - 2007. Mitsubishi FTO, Silver - 1996.
I know EXACTLY how you feel. One minute it's fine, you take it for a 'service' and it comes back with a couple of £k's worth of necessary repairs...

I found my guy through the Mercedes Owners Club in the UK, and there is a mag called Mercedes Performance that prints mechanics and stuff in the classified ads. You need to get away from the dealerships if only for the cost... but finding a reliable mechanic you can trust will be a problem.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:59 PM

600SL AMG (R129)
Help

Thats interesting,I live in rep of Ire and am considering bringing it to the UK.
Ive spent 12000Euro in the last 3 mts so far.Wife wants me to get rid.Ill get the mag and have a look.Thanks.If you here of a recommendation give us a shout
Old 01-03-2006, 05:02 PM

500 SL R129, Blue - 1991. Mini Cooper S, Works Kit Silver - 2007. Mitsubishi FTO, Silver - 1996.
mines cost me about the same this year... I'll keep an eye out for people in RoI.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:10 PM

600SL AMG (R129)
Help

Thanks. The UK will do either.Its only a boat ride.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:17 PM

ok, you could look up Steve Richardson at SPR Autos in Stockport, Cheshire... don't have the number handy, mention my Blue SL500 to him... maybe he'll give me a discount for the intro...
Old 01-04-2006, 01:17 PM

600SL AMG (R129)
b4mmy

Just saw this now. thanks
Old 01-04-2006, 02:26 PM

thats a lovely looking sl you've got there... all original as well, I like those wheels, are they amg or copies...
Old 01-04-2006, 03:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'93 SL500
In my opinion and what I have read on several forums is that dealers are often a waste of time and especially money!

When there's a fault they just replace the module - bang goes another 300quid! and often it's not the module - electronics just doesn't fail that often!!!

My car has had its share of annoyances granted, but considering she's 13 years old it's hardly an issue. I've probably spent no more than 1000GBP in repair parts over the last 3.5 years and NEVER been to the dealer. A 1000quid isn't cheap but it's not what I call expensive motoring!

Find a good mechanic as mentioned previously, that's the trick with any elder sports car, or if you're like me, learn yourself Well, I can only do electronics buy my garage does everything else...

BTW - tell us more about your symptoms. You say ASR - is your centre triangle warning light illuminated, or is it the ASR warning light at the bottom of your dash, or/and does she go into limp home mode ie. weird driving sensation of having to press the accelerator down hard and weird gear changes???

Sometimes I wish there was only one forum (there are two other large ones)and especially a few more britts to speak ****ney too http://www.londonslang.com/ ;-)

Lea

Last edited by LeaUK; 01-04-2006 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:49 PM

600SL AMG (R129)
Cool

Tha back of it is even nicer.Have a look.The wheels are OZ Racing made for AMG.The real deal.Their split rims.Inner,Middle Outer.
Attached Thumbnails Help-p3302839-copy.jpg  
Old 01-04-2006, 03:58 PM

600SL AMG (R129)
It goes into the limp home mode.Foot to the floor.Savage gear changes.The garage who has it now says he has to get a wiring diag for it but cant get one.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by RADO SL600 AMG
It goes into the limp home mode.Foot to the floor.Savage gear changes.The garage who has it now says he has to get a wiring diag for it but cant get one.
Ok, this happened to me.... jeez I think I've had everything! I confess what I did was I JETWASHED the engine, as it was looking tired!

Well, how was I to know that the thing was held together by IBM and a KRAY? So, not surprisingly mine did that limp home thing one minute... and was fine the next, and if I was super careful with the accelerator it would drive normally.

So the dealer said it was the ASR unit, because that was the light on the dash. And showed me where it was, and said £1200 to buy and fit a new one... but if I preferred they would 'take a look at it' for £700 a day!!!! That was nearly the lowest point of my affair with the SL. Anyway I worked it out for myself because I had deliberately sprayed the ASR unit more than the rest of it, cos it was filthy. So I must have got water into it.

The fix? I got a vaccuum cleaner and held it on the points where the wires went in, and then I got a hair dryer on it. And I did this for about an hour. And I swear to god I fixed it!

Now, you didn't jetwash your ASR did you?
Old 01-07-2006, 07:18 AM

600SL AMG (R129)
Asr

I dont think the engine ever got a wash.but heres the thing,because i hadnt got the car garaged for about 6 mts,nor hadnt driven it for the same period it might have got damp.Ill wait till i get it back from this other garage and review it from there.God knows what problem it will come back with this time.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:18 PM

....unfortunately I share your resignation and sceptisism....
Old 01-08-2006, 03:50 PM
Almost a Member!

SLK55, SL600, A4
I've had my SL600 for almost 3 years and went though some pains with the ASR as well. Toward the end of the first year, it was going out off and on fairly frequently but of course never when I took it to the shop. Finally, it went out and I limped it to the shop and didn't shut it off till they came out and looked at it. They took it in and checked and cleaned all the connections in the system and it seemed to work well for a while. I had a couple more incidents but wanted to wait since I had to leave her home in storage while I was gone for a year. When I got back, it worked ok for a few weeks and then started acting up again. Finally, no matter what I did or how much they fiddled with the connections, it would not work anymore. The shop went ahead and replace the driver's side unit for 1800 euro but told me that all the ones they have seen have had the other side go out within a few months of replacing one side. They did drop a few hundred off the bill which was nice, I really trust the guys I've been working with. I put another 5,000 km in the next 4 months and then it sat more once I picked up my SLK55. No more problems yet, we'll see this spring when I pull it out for regular driving again.

Good luck.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:34 AM

600SL AMG (R129)
Originally Posted by bradmg
I've had my SL600 for almost 3 years and went though some pains with the ASR as well. Toward the end of the first year, it was going out off and on fairly frequently but of course never when I took it to the shop. Finally, it went out and I limped it to the shop and didn't shut it off till they came out and looked at it. They took it in and checked and cleaned all the connections in the system and it seemed to work well for a while. I had a couple more incidents but wanted to wait since I had to leave her home in storage while I was gone for a year. When I got back, it worked ok for a few weeks and then started acting up again. Finally, no matter what I did or how much they fiddled with the connections, it would not work anymore. The shop went ahead and replace the driver's side unit for 1800 euro but told me that all the ones they have seen have had the other side go out within a few months of replacing one side. They did drop a few hundred off the bill which was nice, I really trust the guys I've been working with. I put another 5,000 km in the next 4 months and then it sat more once I picked up my SLK55. No more problems yet, we'll see this spring when I pull it out for regular driving again.

Good luck.
Thanks bradmg,Got word today that they have it sorted and will be back by the weekend.Ill have to find a new garage to do the next line of work to it,some where in the uk maybe.b4mmy gave me a name i might check out.Uk is only boat ride away.I have to get the wheels redone anyway and id have a bigger selection over there.
Anyone know a good refurb wheel shop that can do split rims.I sent them to a place in Belfast before but i dont think he split the rim to refurb them even though i sent him the tool to get the nuts off.The finish is coming off around the nuts. In addition i have an oil leek, that they say the head has to come off ,a small hole in the soft top,a rip in the leather and 2 scraps in the paintwork.Other than that is a lovely car as i remember it.Garages seem to have it more than i have.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:53 PM

1998 SL 600 ///AMG. 1997 SL 320. 1999 SLK 230K. 2001 BMW R850.
I dont think the engine ever got a wash.but heres the thing,because i hadnt got the car garaged for about 6 mts,nor hadnt driven it for the same period it might have got damp.Ill wait till i get it back from this other garage and review it from there.God knows what problem it will come back with this time.
Hi Rado, sorry I didn't reply to your email. I have a friend who owns a garage with an excellent team of auto electricians, mechanics & painters. They have sorted all my Mercs & even other friends Mercs & BMW's as well. I'll introduce you if you like?

Regards,
Mark
Bristol.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:16 AM

600SL AMG (R129)
Introduce

Originally Posted by Pigzmickey
Hi Rado, sorry I didn't reply to your email. I have a friend who owns a garage with an excellent team of auto electricians, mechanics & painters. They have sorted all my Mercs & even other friends Mercs & BMW's as well. I'll introduce you if you like?

Regards,
Mark
Bristol.
Hi Mark.This sounds the business.Introduce away.Many thanks.

John
Old 01-11-2006, 02:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
SL 55 , Infinity FX37, Aprilia Caponord Rally
Guys,I have to agree with LeaUK that you are all paying over the odds to keep your SL's going.
The cars are really not that expensive to run.
Their mechanics are shared with so many other Mercs,and used parts are available everywhere.
Regardind ASR,I had a problem with mine on my Vito,and all it was the
brake sensor..USD20...
MAny other parts can be fixed on the SL,not changed..even electronic
circuitry can be soldered and fixed.
My SL costs USD 300/400 a year to run including servicing items[oils,filters,
brake pads].
When I hear what you guys are spending,it makes me cringe...Euro 12000
can buy you an SL for God's sake..
And finally,your SL has to be driven,regularely.Any long periods of rest and the car will develop faults..dry and cracked hoses,humidity in electrics,failed water pumps,and so on....
500/600 miles a month is a must...and please do your oil and filter change at
3000 miles and not 6000....oh ..and use your soft top at least once a month even in winter..the motors have to keep working...
I am not surprised to hear about failed mechanism when the thing has'nt been used for 8 months....
Old 01-11-2006, 02:00 PM

600SL AMG (R129)
Originally Posted by dafi129
Guys,I have to agree with LeaUK that you are all paying over the odds to keep your SL's going.
Their mechanics are shared with so many other Mercs,and used parts are available everywhere.
brake sensor..USD20...
brake pads].
And finally,your SL has to be driven,regularely.Any long periods of rest and the car will develop faults..dry and cracked hoses,humidity in electrics,failed water pumps,and so on....
3000 miles and not 6000....oh ..and use your soft top at least once a month even in winter..the motors have to keep working...
I am not surprised to hear about failed mechanism when the thing has'nt been used for 8 months....
Here ill sicken you even further,the soft top wouldnt complete its close position because the drivers window woundnt go down.1750 Euro to replace control unit, 20min,have a nice day.Ireland is im sure the dearest place in the world to own a car.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:59 PM

1998 E320, 1994 320 SL,2000 Ford F 150.1997 Gixxer 1100
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dafi129
brake sensor..USD20...
brake pads].
Dafi129,
This is one of the better post I have read. I also cringe at the cost of repairs quoted by other forum members. You are absolutely right,parts can be repaired and are interchangeable with other models. I am lucky to have a good and knowledgeable mechanic and not just a parts changer or trial and error Joe. My only exception is that 500/600 miles is a must.My Sl is a weekend car and cost me less than $300 CDN per year in maintainance. Everything else mentioned is right on.

Last edited by kerrypacker; 01-13-2006 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
SL 55 , Infinity FX37, Aprilia Caponord Rally
Originally Posted by kerrypacker
Dafi129,
This is one of the better post I have read. I also cringe at the cost of repairs quoted by other forum members. You are absolutely right,parts can be repaired and are interchangeable with other models. I am lucky to have a good and knowledgeable mechanic and not just a parts changer or trial and error Joe. My only exception is that 500/600 miles is a must.My Sl is a weekend car and cost me less than $300 CDN per year in maintainance. Everything else mentioned is right on.
Glad you agree there...But I see that you still drive your car ,even at weekends..This is what's saving you from big repair bills...
Old 01-17-2006, 12:14 PM

600SL AMG (R129)
Angry More Bills

Got a call from the garage today.I was on the floor before he finished.My ASR problems is a wiring loom that goes through the trottle box or something,which is burnt due to the heat of the engine.At least that what he says?but of course theres no problem,as the part is not available in the uk he can get it in germany.Cost 2500 euro plus the cost to fit it.A round off of 3500 Euro.As i know nothing about whats under the bonnet i feel like a sucker.I put a hold on it while i think about it.If i send it to the uk and get everything that needs to be done to it as suggested before,ill have to send it on a truck.Any suggestions from anybody.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:18 PM

SL500 2001 Formula 1 Edition;
Any suggestions from anybody.

Perhaps you could get a week-end job or work overtime to pay for the repairs?
Old 01-17-2006, 04:01 PM

Any suggestions from anybody.
Is it possible for you to get a second opinion, can you drive the car or is it in bits now. I know how you feel, its like you are trapped and its not £50 to get out of jail... There are a few other forums you could try for some advice if you don't get any joy here.

Its no laughing matter with that kind of money, try this:

http://www.benzworld.org

please don't flame me guys... I'm trying to help this guy out!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R129: Help