SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: What am I driving?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500 2001 Formula 1 Edition;
What am I driving?

Okay, a few of you have made reference to some of my baby's unique features, and I've posted about a few of them. But every since Chris from Canada sent me a brochure for year 2001 R129, I've been wondering what the heck I am driving. I am trying to figure out which features are factory and which are post-factory mods.

The dopes at the dealership have been no help.

I got my baby last August with about 42,000 miles on it. It is a 2001 SL500. According to carfax, it was originally sold in Illinos, USA in December of 2000. (you can search my posts for pictures -- you know how they restrict duplicate photos on the forum).

When I bought it, it was advertised as designo -- but the brochure does NOT have my car listed as a designo option. It is bright silver with BLACK leather inside. It has VENTED seats and a machined alumimnum instrument panel. The steering wheel is kind of like the 2002 Silver Arrow steering wheel -- black leather with silver leather inserts. The middle console is mostly a metalic silver colored plastic looking material. The door inserts that are often wood are also of that same silver material. The gas and brake pedals are metal.

As for the exterior, the features I haven't seen on any other 2001 SL include the "SL" badges near the front wheel-wells over the vents, similar to the badges on the Silver Arrow, and drilled brake rotors. The soft top is silver. It has the AMG body work and AMG wheels.

Anybody have any info on whether there really was a designo model like mine in 2001? And which features were factory? I don't think the drilled brake rotors were, but the rest I am lost on.