SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: rear factory rotor removal??? need help ASAP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G63
Question rear factory rotor removal??? need help ASAP!

ok i am upgrading to slotted rotors all the way around, got the front done. i am currently working on the rear.

the problem is i cant get the factory rotor off the hub assembly like on the front? i reomved the "ALLEN" screw that holds the rotor to the hub assembly, and bump it with a hammer a few times, and its just not coming off???

any suggestions, or is there something else that has to be removed??? please let me know ASAP. sitting here waiting, thanks.... chad
Old 02-26-2006, 01:51 AM

G63
?

anyone?
Old 02-26-2006, 03:24 PM

G63
Thumbs up ok....

alright after doing a ton or searching on different Benz forums, i came across a thread that helped me out.

for one, if anyone wants to DIY. make sure you don't leave the parking brake on (which i kinda figured that). the other, my car being under 100K the rotors didn't appear to have ever been changed. so after all the heat and water they pretty much seized up on the hub assembley.

i just took some WD-40 sprayed around where the rotor slides over the hub assembley and let it soaked real good, then hit it with a wire brush. then got a small peice of wood, and start knock the living hell out of it (the rotor). i had to keep rotating the rotor, to keep it even all the way around (dust sheild blocks most of the rotor). it finally broke loose!

so if anyone runs into this problem, this should help ya out... chad
Old 02-27-2006, 12:40 PM

SL500 2001 Formula 1 Edition;
I didn't want you to be lonely on this thread by yourself. After all, you posted an answer to your own question.

So, congratulations! Probably, if you are going to be doing a lot of this stuff yourself, you should spend the money on the shop manual. Depending on which you have more of: money or time.

I work by the hour and time is worth a lot to me.