SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Help with replacement of seatback leather - 129

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL600 r230, SL600 r129,, SL500 r230, ML320, C280 Sport, 190e 2.3 16V (2)
Help with replacement of seatback leather - 129

Hi all

I bought a new leather seat back for my SL. I found a link showing how to take the seat apart (4 screws!), but I could not find how to remove the white plastic pieces attaching the cloth seat spine to the little metal bars in the horsehair cushion.

Can anybody provide guidance?
Old 03-20-2006, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
some
Originally Posted by waybomb
Hi all

I bought a new leather seat back for my SL. I found a link showing how to take the seat apart (4 screws!), but I could not find how to remove the white plastic pieces attaching the cloth seat spine to the little metal bars in the horsehair cushion.

all i know, is that it is very very hard to take on and off.

good luck! and remember, DONT MOVE THE SEAT WHEN IT IS OFF. it makes it much harder to put back on.

makr
Old 01-02-2010, 09:08 AM

'11 C300
NEW SEAT SOURCE?

Anyone have a good source for new leather? My friend wants to replace the seats on his 2000 SL 500.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:25 AM

Sl 320,ML350,R350
were you ever able to change those leather cover seats? I know how to remove the seat but I do not know if I can properly change the leather.
Thanks
Old 09-14-2010, 04:07 PM

2005 S 500
Originally Posted by waybomb
Hi all

Well I'm Not Being A Wise Guy,, But Your Better Off Taking To A Seat/Top Shop, They Have The Know How And All The Tools To Do The Job Right.

You Already Have The Hides ,, It Can't Cost That Much.
Besides You Will Break The Plastic Clips Holding The Seat To The Metal Frame, And They Have Them.
It's A No Brainer Why Get Aggravated

Have Fun
Harle03joe
Old 09-15-2010, 02:32 AM

96 SL500, 97 E420
Originally Posted by OttoBon100
Anyone have a good source for new leather? My friend wants to replace the seats on his 2000 SL 500.
I got my seat covers & top here, will use them from now on.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3AMEWAX%3AVRI

Tops too

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3AMEWAX%3AVRI
Old 09-25-2010, 12:51 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
1990 500sl
Originally Posted by maxiSL
were you ever able to change those leather cover seats? I know how to remove the seat but I do not know if I can properly change the leather.
Thanks
I just got done doing my car this evening.

Things you need to know:

The plastic clips holding the seat back to the metal frame are easy. Just pry them off with a small screwdriver.

What's a huge pain are the 3 metal rods - which provide the pleats in the seats. They are in a cloth channel sewn into the bottom of the cover, and clip to another rod on the seat frame. Along the bottom there is a fiber channel that fits into grooves - use a pick or screwdriver to pry it out. This is how the entire bottom of the seat is held on along the edges as well. Getting them off is ridiculous, and you have to remove the horsehair / foam pad from the metal frame - it's just a friction fit there.

Then you have to feed the rods into the new seat skin, cut notches in the appropriate places, - hint - feed zip ties up the holes so you can mark the cover, then replace the white plastic clips and clip the rods down to the pad. Start in the middle, then do the two sides, then stretch the leather over the bolsters. On my car I had to add a bit of foam on the bolsters because 20 years of wear had kind of compacted it. It took me 8 hours or so to do the 4 seat cushions over two nights. The bottoms seem easier than the backs, but in reality they aren't - getting those fiber channels in there is a pain - Hint - start with the front corners and work backwards on the bottoms, if your corners dont perfectly line up, you want it to be on the back of the seat where it's tucked under, not where it's visible in the front.

I have a ton of pics etc, but I just got done tonight and haven't had time to post anything.

Take care,

George
Old 09-25-2010, 02:07 PM

2005 S 500
Originally Posted by dirtyguido
I just got done doing my car this evening.

Things you need to know:

The plastic clips holding the seat back to the metal frame are easy. Just pry them off with a small screwdriver.

What's a huge pain are the 3 metal rods - which provide the pleats in the seats. They are in a cloth channel sewn into the bottom of the cover, and clip to another rod on the seat frame. Along the bottom there is a fiber channel that fits into grooves - use a pick or screwdriver to pry it out. This is how the entire bottom of the seat is held on along the edges as well. Getting them off is ridiculous, and you have to remove the horsehair / foam pad from the metal frame - it's just a friction fit there.

Then you have to feed the rods into the new seat skin, cut notches in the appropriate places, - hint - feed zip ties up the holes so you can mark the cover, then replace the white plastic clips and clip the rods down to the pad. Start in the middle, then do the two sides, then stretch the leather over the bolsters. On my car I had to add a bit of foam on the bolsters because 20 years of wear had kind of compacted it. It took me 8 hours or so to do the 4 seat cushions over two nights. The bottoms seem easier than the backs, but in reality they aren't - getting those fiber channels in there is a pain - Hint - start with the front corners and work backwards on the bottoms, if your corners dont perfectly line up, you want it to be on the back of the seat where it's tucked under, not where it's visible in the front.

I have a ton of pics etc, but I just got done tonight and haven't had time to post anything.

Take care,

George
Yes George Please Post Pictures,
And That Was A Very Good Wrte Up
Thank You
Harley03joe
Old 09-25-2010, 10:46 PM

1990 500sl
Originally Posted by Harley03joe
Yes George Please Post Pictures,
And That Was A Very Good Wrte Up
Thank You
Harley03joe
I don't have enough posts here to post pics yet. If you have any questions please let me know.

George
Old 09-26-2010, 02:05 AM

2005 S 500
I don't have enough posts here to post pics yet. If you have any questions please let me know.

George
George Then What Does This Mean

" I have a ton of pics etc, but I just got done tonight and haven't had time to post anything."

??????
Harley03joe
Old 09-26-2010, 07:29 PM

1990 500sl
Originally Posted by Harley03joe
George Then What Does This Mean

" I have a ton of pics etc, but I just got done tonight and haven't had time to post anything."

??????
Harley03joe
Joe I tried to post pics on this site, but it didn't let me - said I was missing the security certificate or something.

I did a full writeup with pics etc on my blog, here is the link:

http://90r129.blogspot.com/2010/09/r...ing-500sl.html

Hope this helps,

George
Old 09-27-2010, 12:53 AM

2005 S 500
Joe I tried to post pics on this site, but it didn't let me - said I was missing the security certificate or something.

I did a full writeup with pics etc on my blog, here is the link:

http://90r129.blogspot.com/2010/09/r...ing-500sl.html

Hope this helps,

George
Yes It Did, Thank You, Also You Done A Great Job, Very Nice
Thanks
Harley03joe