SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Fuel problem help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel problem help

Hello, I am new to the forum and a few weeks ago I bought a 92 500sl. The only trouble I am having is the car is stalling. Once it stalls it won’t start for some time. Today I spent 2 hours on the side of the freeway before it started. I am thinking it is the fuel filter and pump that needs to be replaced. But I noticed when looking for pumps it shows two pumps needed. Hmmm, if the 500sl has two pumps then that would mean that one of the pumps is gone and the second is going intermittently. Any ideas? How is the fuel system setup on the 500. The book that I purchased is inadequate and provides no help. Any ideas on any good manuals as well. Thanks.

The Wind
Old 04-18-2006, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
some
Originally Posted by TheWind
Hello, I am new to the forum and a few weeks ago I bought a 92 500sl. The only trouble I am having is the car is stalling. Once it stalls it won’t start for some time. Today I spent 2 hours on the side of the freeway before it started. I am thinking it is the fuel filter and pump that needs to be replaced. But I noticed when looking for pumps it shows two pumps needed. Hmmm, if the 500sl has two pumps then that would mean that one of the pumps is gone and the second is going intermittently. Any ideas? How is the fuel system setup on the 500. The book that I purchased is inadequate and provides no help. Any ideas on any good manuals as well. Thanks.

The Wind

welcome Mr. Wind

if you pumps are out/going, then you will hear a BUZZZZZ noice by the fuel cap aria.
and it is noticible.
or, it could be your fuel filters. cars will stall if they are cloged, so get those checked out.
OR it could be your spark plugs.

but i think its the filter.

what octange gass are you using?

Mark