SL/R129: Top down, windows up?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2006 | 01:32 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 SL600 - 100% Stock
Top down, windows up?

Am I the only one that doesn't want the windows up after I put my top down? Why did MB decide to have the windows automatically go back up after the top has been lowered? Does anybody know how to prevent this from happening? I would prefer the logic: top up, windows up. Top down, windows down.

Tip DS
Old 06-25-2006 | 01:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 243 Likes on 188 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
I know, I don't understand why anyone with the top down would roll up windows.
Old 06-25-2006 | 02:45 AM

2006 Aston Martin Vantage
Reduce the wind with the help of the wind deflector. Works ok and does cut down on the 'in your face' wind. Also good for night top-down driving when the air is pretty cold.
Old 06-25-2006 | 10:42 AM

2002 SL500
Originally Posted by tipds
Why did MB decide to have the windows automatically go back up after the top has been lowered?
I don't know how to change the behavior. I just release the red switch as soon as I hear the windows start to go up.

Ranks right up there with another minor annoyance - why does the antenna extend when listening to the CD player? And I don't know of any way to get around that one.
Old 06-25-2006 | 01:30 PM
Banned

Received 389 Likes on 308 Posts
'09 S600, (2) R129 300SLs, '03 SL500, '03 SL55
Am I the only one that doesn't want the windows up after I put my top down? Why did MB decide to have the windows automatically go back up after the top has been lowered? Does anybody know how to prevent this from happening? I would prefer the logic: top up, windows up. Top down, windows down.

Tip DS
Like pcviewer, I can see why M-B programmed it this way. But I'm with you -- I don't like it. I listen for the windows or watch for the light in the top switch to go out.

By the way, you could install a simple electrical circuit that would keep the windows from going up. Also, I think it is accurate to say that the automatic roof control modules and circuits mentioned on this website don't raise the windows at the end of a top opening cycle.
Old 06-26-2006 | 05:59 PM

97 SL500
I always wonder why the windows do that too, but like the others it's what tells me it's time to release the switch.

As far the antenna goes, I believe it's up all the time when the head unit is on b/c it's also the cellular phone antenna. On pre-99's the head unit wasn't fully integrated to the phone system and didn't know if the phone kit was present so the antenna is up when the HU is on. I don't know if this changed when the newer more integrated HU was used (99-02), but I doubt it.

Originally Posted by hotel_calif
I don't know how to change the behavior. I just release the red switch as soon as I hear the windows start to go up.

Ranks right up there with another minor annoyance - why does the antenna extend when listening to the CD player? And I don't know of any way to get around that one.
Old 06-27-2006 | 01:54 AM
Almost a Member!

1996 SL600 - 100% Stock
Originally Posted by hotel_calif

Hmmmm. I think I detect a hint of sarcasim. That's OK, I probably deserve it. I suppose all those accusations about me being obsessive might be true, but it just bugs me that the windows would be up. I mean, if I didn't want all that nasty wind in the cabin, I wouldn't put the top down. It ain't THAT big of a deal, but I put the top down almost every time I drive the car. (That's often several times a day) Go from home to work, go from work to lunch, go from lunch to work, go from work home. Four times a day, and this little quirk is just getting on my nerves. I definately have bigger problems than this, but... Anyhow, I understand your point. I need to relax about it. Thanks for all y'all's input.

Tip DS
Old 06-27-2006 | 08:47 AM

2002 SL500
No Sarcasm Intended

Hmmmm. I think I detect a hint of sarcasim.
No sarcasm intended, Tip DS. The window and antenna behaviors really are annoyances for me, although fairly minor since I am very happy with the car overall. Perhaps MBZ had good reasons for implementing things the way they did. Lincoln's comment about the phone system makes sense. My SL is 2002 and the antenna behavior is just like the pre-99 models mentioned.
Old 06-28-2006 | 06:39 AM

1999 SL320
Hi, the car is also made for markets with no speed limits. At 160 or 180 km/h it is definitily neccessary to have the windows up - otherwise your head and eyes would point skywards, which Mercedes considers to be unsafe
Joachim
Old 06-28-2006 | 12:18 PM

98 SL500, 97 E420
I might have an explanation for the antenna up all the time.

In Europe they have special traffic reports that can be identified by the radio. It actually stops your tape or CD or even ups the volume when a traffic report is broadcasted. I think that's one of the reasons that the antenna is up all the time.
Old 06-28-2006 | 02:32 PM

When I am by myself the windows are usually down (unless it gets to around 66 degrees or colder, then I use the windscreen and windows up). If my wife is driver or passenger, the windows and windscreen are up the whole time. That is also fine when going fast on the freeway, it is amazing how little wind and noise there is in the cabin with the windscreen and windows.

I agree about the windows rolling up right after the top light goes out, too quick. In our Z4, there is a lag of about 2 seconds where you have to keep holding the top button after the light goes out to raise the windows, much better paradigm.
Old 06-28-2006 | 02:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E63, 2018 AMG GT Convertible
I loved driving my last SL with the top down, windows down, heater on, heated seats on, vent heater on, and the weather outside just about ready to rain. I'm 6'2" and the only thing that got kinda cold was the top of my head!
Old 06-28-2006 | 03:00 PM

SL500 2001 Formula 1 Edition;
I drive all the time with the windows up and top down. Makes a BIG difference at 90 mph.
Old 06-29-2006 | 01:12 AM

2006 Aston Martin Vantage
Originally Posted by mbz.mwusa.net
I might have an explanation for the antenna up all the time.

In Europe they have special traffic reports that can be identified by the radio. It actually stops your tape or CD or even ups the volume when a traffic report is broadcasted. I think that's one of the reasons that the antenna is up all the time.
When did this system come out? I know for sure that the 1987 420SEL, you can manually control the antenna height (and even have it fully down) when the radio is on. However, on a 1991 500SL, there is no means to control the antenna height at all.
Old 06-29-2006 | 09:24 AM

98 SL500, 97 E420
It's out for quite a while. Most radios in Europe have a setting to allow the traffic report to interrupt the CD or tape. I think they broadast an additional signal during the traffic report that the car stereo can detect. You can turn it off though if you don't want it. I have an 86 190E 2.3 which also has a button for antenna to go with the radio, to be always down or always up.

Last edited by mbz.mwusa.net; 06-29-2006 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-01-2006 | 03:11 AM
Almost a Member!

1996 SL600 - 100% Stock
Funny

Originally Posted by owlhill
Hi, the car is also made for markets with no speed limits. At 160 or 180 km/h it is definitily neccessary to have the windows up - otherwise your head and eyes would point skywards, which Mercedes considers to be unsafe
Joachim
That's funny. Short story... One day me & some of the guys at the office were going to a little seafood dive on the bay. On the way we run on a divided four lane that converges into an undivided two lane. Well, there was this redneck poking along in his Dodge pickup about a mile before the narrowing took place. I decided to (politely pass), but the guy put the hammer down when I started passing. Before I finally passed the guy, I was doing 120mph. The goofball that was riding shotgun with me decided to stick his hand out the side... He yelped in pain as his shoulder was wrenched backward and his hand hit the side of the car behind him. It was so funny. Once he got his arm back in the car, he started rubbing his shoulder and looking at me like I should feel sorry for him. I could only laugh out loud.

As for the wind at excessive speeds... After reading some posts here, which had acceleration videos, I decided to go play on the streets a little. I drove across the bay and back on I-10. We call that section the bay-way. I don't know exactly, but it's about five miles of two-lane bridge with no place for smokey to loiter. Anyhow, on the way back across, I stopped at the bottom of the on-ramp & waited for a long, clear stretch of road. When there was a big gap in traffic, I opened her up for a heart pounding joyride. With the top down, and yes, the windows too, I stopped looking at the spedometer at just over 150mph. It was great. The top of my head was a little numb when I finally got back down to 80mph, but it felt great. I love the wind with the top down, even in excess of 150mph. Of course, my wife let me have it when I got home. I wasn't going to tell her how fast I went, but she just kept on guessing... "How fast did you go? Were you going over 100? 120? 130? 140? Tell me you didn't get to 150! You are such a wreckless idiot! I hate that car!" Well, I love that car and all the wind in the cabin.

Tip DS
Old 07-03-2006 | 08:57 AM

98 SL500, 97 E420
My wife sounds exactly the same. ;-) That's why it's recommended to leave the wife at home is speeds over 100mph. Mine actually starts screaming at 80mph. Since I'm froma Austria and I spent a lot of time on ethe German Autobahn (no speed limits) I sometimes feel I'm crawling here.