SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: sl500 soft top problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl500 soft top problem

I have a '98 sl500 and for some reason the soft top would not go down. When I try it the windows go down and I hear the rear latches open but not the front ones on the top of the windshield. I checked the fluid and it was low so I put the required amount but still the front latches do not release.
Is there a way I can manually open the front latches so I can put the top down? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:00 PM

500 SL R129, Blue - 1991. Mini Cooper S, Works Kit Silver - 2007. Mitsubishi FTO, Silver - 1996.
Originally Posted by dinanmotors
I have a '98 sl500 and for some reason the soft top would not go down. When I try it the windows go down and I hear the rear latches open but not the front ones on the top of the windshield. I checked the fluid and it was low so I put the required amount but still the front latches do not release.
Is there a way I can manually open the front latches so I can put the top down? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Do you have the tool for releasing the top, and winding it down. Its about the size of a spanner?

Before you try anything manually, try pulling at the top from the outside and in, rocking it. It may just be stuck. It happened to me once and thats how I got it down when mine failed. Persevere for a few minutes and let me know how you get on.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by b4mmy
Do you have the tool for releasing the top, and winding it down. Its about the size of a spanner?

Before you try anything manually, try pulling at the top from the outside and in, rocking it. It may just be stuck. It happened to me once and thats how I got it down when mine failed. Persevere for a few minutes and let me know how you get on.

Thank you for your reply.
The problem was the driver side hydraluic realerser or what ever you call it. It was leaking oil and would not open the latch. I replaced it and now it works perfect. Took me an hour to replace it and the part was about $150.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:26 AM
Almost a Member!

1996 SL600 - 100% Stock
Impressive!

You guys seem to be a bunch of handymen at this site. I don't do any of my own work on my SL600. Not that you guys don't know what you are doing, but I always want to make sure things are done right with this car. It's worth the money for me to have a qualified tech to do installs, fixes, etc. on this car. Maybe it's sentimental, as this was one of my Dad's rides before he passed away. Anyhow, kudos to you guys for being so good with your hands on such a beautiful car.

Tip DS