SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: SL600 Radio Replacement.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 08:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
13 S550, 10 S550, 08 GL550, 05 SL65, 97 SL600, 09 E63
SL600 Radio Replacement.

OK.. My radio just went south.. (the LCD display started leaking) so I'm planning on swapping out the unit with something else.. Since I'm going down that path it only makes sense to replace the entire system since I'm going need to change the amp so I can drive it from RCA out inputs.. and since I'm replacing the amp, I might as well replace the speakers.. and of course.. if I'm going down that path, I might as well replace the sub as well..

What a royal pain in the ***, but I guess it needs to be done.

Any body have any suggestions on gear for the new SL? I was thinking the following configuration:

Amplifier: Phoenix Gold OCTANE-R 9.0:5
Head Unit: Alpine DVA-9861

Speakers: I have no idea what to replace them with since it's been over 15 years since I've looked into car audio gear. I was thinking MB Quart if they were still around.. I'm just looking for something that sounds good even with the top down. I'm not into blasting my stereo so loud that everyone can hear, but I would occasionally turn it up on the freeway.

I would like it to sound at least as good as the factory system.

As for amplifier mounting, where can I mount it without it overheating and taking up my entire trunk?

With regards to the subwoofer, anyone have any suggestions on a stock replacement unit? or will I have to have one custom made?

Also.. I took the old cell phone keypad out of the car and I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get a plastic insert to turn it into additional storage?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
some
Originally Posted by percykwong
OK.. My radio just went south.. (the LCD display started leaking) so I'm planning on swapping out the unit with something else.. Since I'm going down that path it only makes sense to replace the entire system since I'm going need to change the amp so I can drive it from RCA out inputs.. and since I'm replacing the amp, I might as well replace the speakers.. and of course.. if I'm going down that path, I might as well replace the sub as well..

What a royal pain in the ***, but I guess it needs to be done.

Any body have any suggestions on gear for the new SL? I was thinking the following configuration:

Amplifier: Phoenix Gold OCTANE-R 9.0:5
Head Unit: Alpine DVA-9861

Speakers: I have no idea what to replace them with since it's been over 15 years since I've looked into car audio gear. I was thinking MB Quart if they were still around.. I'm just looking for something that sounds good even with the top down. I'm not into blasting my stereo so loud that everyone can hear, but I would occasionally turn it up on the freeway.

I would like it to sound at least as good as the factory system.

As for amplifier mounting, where can I mount it without it overheating and taking up my entire trunk?

With regards to the subwoofer, anyone have any suggestions on a stock replacement unit? or will I have to have one custom made?

Also.. I took the old cell phone keypad out of the car and I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get a plastic insert to turn it into additional storage?

Thanks in advance.

do you have the bose? can i buy the amp and the sub of of you?

mark
Old 08-09-2006, 12:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
13 S550, 10 S550, 08 GL550, 05 SL65, 97 SL600, 09 E63
I do have the bose.. and yes.. I'd be more than happy to sell it to you when I get it replaced.