SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Noise coming from the underneath (left rear)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 01:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL320
Noise coming from the underneath (left rear)

Recently, I noticed that there is rather heavy "bumping" like sound coming from the underneath (left rear) when my 97 SL320 is going over bumps or rough roads, etc. This happens when I was driving with the hardtop on. I have never driven with softtop (or top down). Therefore, I am not sure if the same will happen without the hardtop.

I am curious whether any of you have the same problem? Currently, I am suspecting the noise is due to the followings:

1) Left hand side suspension is broken
2) The hardtop is not locked securely (or the seals gets old/thinner)
3) Loose parts underneath the car
4) The softtop inside the compartment hits something

I would appreciate if you could shed some lights on the problem. It is quite annoying, and my garage has no idea where the noise is coming from...

Eric
Old 09-28-2006, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 300SL, panoramic top
Hi

I have just cured what sounds like a similar problem on mine - we have had a very hot summer here in the UK and the rubber rings holding my shocks seem to have perished, causing much groaning etc. But replacing them and replacing the shocks (which were mildly leaky - I do not slow down from the posted speed limit for speed bumps on principle!) seem to done the trick.

Incidentally, I replaced the shocks with Bilstein (Lorinser specs) all round and they have really tightened the car up.

Well worth looking at - there is a full set on US ebay at the moment.

Also added at the same time is a new Remus back box and pipes - the sound is just wonderful and on a 300SL the easier breathing gives me noticeable improvements in acceleration.

Hope this helps.