SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: CD changer connection

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CD changer connection

Hi everyone. First post.

I recently got a '97 SL500. To my amazement, even though it has a Bose speaker system, it has no CD changer. To add even more to my amazement, it does not even have a CD connection in the trunk even though the Radio can control one as is original to the car (it has the CD button). I removed the carpeted cover in the trunk because I also have a leaking cylinder and saw no signs of the connector. I also looked in the top hydraulic pump area to no avail.

So the question is, has anybody installed an original Mercedes CD changer when there is no connection in the trunk? I have looking into buying one from eBay and installing it myself but I am not sure where to get the connector from and how to do the wiring.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:52 PM

97 SL500
The wiring should be there. It seems the newer cars that use fiber optic cable (not your 97) have the cables run all the way to the taillight area...not sure if the 97 was the same since my 97 had the changer installed when new. Have you pulled the Head Unit to see if (a) the changer cable is already plugged into it (b) the cable is there but not plugged in...if you can find the cable behind the radio then you will be able to find it somehwhere in the trunk. The radio removal tools are cheap (even at the dealer) and they also remove the AC controls. It seems the cables are never exactly where you think they should be regardless of make. I found the cable or phone wiring in the most odd places on BMWs and Infiniti's I've worked on.

Here's a story about these factory pre-wire cables: A long time ago I was an installer at local car stereo shop. My step-mom is the director of HR for a larger competitor. She had a phone kit installed by her company and they put a glass mount antenna on her Q45 BUT it already had a factory installed antenna in the rear glass for the phone. When I griped at her she said they couldn't find the connector. I had never worked on Q45 before and had been out the business for about 5 years at the time. I went out to the garage, popped the trunk and in the dark felt around near the rear deck for the connector...within 2 minutes I had the connector in hand and was removing the glue on antenna from the glass.

Last edited by Lincoln; 09-19-2006 at 05:57 PM.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:42 AM

Lincoln,

Thank you very much for your help. It turns out that the connection was hidden within a set of cables tied up together and covered with electrical tape just above where the CD changed is supposed to be. At first it looked just like cables were tied up but cutting the tape revealed the connection.

Thanks again for your help.