SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: 96 SL500 P0100 P1346 MAF and Knock sensors help needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 SL500 P0100 P1346 MAF and Knock sensors help needed

Hi,
I have a 96 sl500 w/91k miles that I am having some problems with. Car stumbles and almost dies at idle intermittently. Took the car to a friend who read the codes and P0100 ( MAF ) and P1346 ( knock sensor) came up. I am going to test voltage (67/68) , ground wire test, and make sure that the wires/connection are good and that the culprit is the actual MAF sensor ( 400.00) and I can replace that. The stange thing is my friend alert me to a cold tick/knocking noise that I never heard before. Start the car cold and there is this intermittent driver side engine tick.knock noise that kinda comes and goes and then is gone. It is not constant, has no pattern ( as if something that is sticking and comes/goes). I am trying to find the source with my headphone noise stethescope but haven't pin pointed it yet...

Only when cold, and you have a to wait a few minutes for it to show up if it will. Car can stumble during this time. Once car is warm - no noise

Questions
1. Is this just a bad MAF and the engine set the knock sensor by the end trying to retard to timing upon stumble and this code is nothing to worry about ?
2. I am trying to isolate the noise - if it were serious - i would think it would be there all the time and the engine would have locked up by now
3. I also saw a service bulletion for "short, loud, rattling noise during cold start" - problem "oil filter return valve leaky" thoughts on this one ?
4. I read all the notes on timing chain, lifters etc..haven't be able to isolate where the noise exactly is yet.

Any wisdom from the forum - greatly appreciated.
tx
Tom