SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Need Advice Re: Baby Coming Out From the Body Shop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500 2001 Formula 1 Edition;
Need Advice Re: Baby Coming Out From the Body Shop

On or about December 23, 2006, while heading westbound on the 105 freeway between the 110 and the 405, a large truck lost a piece of its tire, which immediatly flew into the path of my Baby. It smashed into my AMG bumper cover/air damn/whatever you call that thing. Broke it clean in half. I lost some of the inserts and one of the fog lamps.

I am supposed to get my baby back from the body shop today. I went to one, which for now will remain nameless, that was recommended by my insurer and I went because they offer some type of warrenty on the work or something. I also am having them fix some dents in the hood that resulted from an unfortunate incident involving metal bars stored in the overhead of the garage that fell on her. The guy said something about painting the fender too in order to get the paint blended in.

Maybe the body shop and the "blending" were mistakes, I don't know. We shall see.

Anyways, the point is this:

I need some advice on what to look for when I get her back to make sure it is a quality job. I've let body shops give me crappy work in the past, but didn't care so much because I wasn't in love with the car.

Two obvious things to look for are:

1. Paint Matching.

2. Gaps between the body and bumper cover/air damn.

Anything else? Any tips on how to identify potential future problems?
Old 01-16-2007, 01:00 PM

03 C32 | 72 Porsche 914
Hi,

I run a body shop and I'm a licensed painter. I'll give you an Idea of what to look for. If you put the car in under florescent lighting you will be able to see imperfections a lot easier than under sunlight.

Look for any kind of fish eyes (look at the clear coat and see if theres any little dots in the paint that you can see down to the primer) looks like this = (0)

Look for any little dirt particles in the paint you'll see raised little spots, these can be easily wet sanded and polished out.

Check for a decent blend it you see any kind of "halo" effect don't take the car make them re-do it. the halo effect looks like a arch of lighter colored paint at the end of the blending area.

check all the gaps as well as check the underside of the panels to make sure that they painted it correctly.

run your hand along the paint and see if it feels gritty if it does the panel needs to be wet sanded and polished. your looking for a glassy feel to it.

take your hand and run it along the doors, windshield along with the parts of the car that weren't painted you can feel over spray (gritty again)

Check your rims and tires to see if theres any over spray on them.

Hopefully this helps you out when picking up the car.

-Mike
Old 01-16-2007, 01:42 PM

SL500 2001 Formula 1 Edition;
YO! THANKS Mike.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2 SL with every Brabus mods available & Class A competition sound system
Mike beat me to it.... ... oh yeah, don't foget to check your interior if there any over spray on them......... I hate when bodyshop left the window down when they working on the car......

Last edited by SL BRABUS; 01-16-2007 at 10:07 PM.