SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Harman Kardon iPod Drive + Play install in 2000 SL500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 03:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Harman Kardon iPod Drive + Play install in 2000 SL500

I was unhappy with the quality of iPod sound through an FM modulator, and the factory radio doesn't have an Aux-in. This MY has the d2b fiber-optic bus so it's also not straightforward to add an Aux-in to the factory radio. I looked at the Soundgate AUXMB1 fiber to copper converter but, a) it's expensive, and b) Logjam hasn't had them for months. So I decided to replace the factory radio with a radio with an Aux-in.

I installed a Blaupunkt Bahamas MP46 Radio with no problems. The existing car wiring to radio connector matches up to the Blaupunkt inputs/outputs 1:1 except for the Cellphone mute. The Blaupunkt also has a speed-sensitive volume.

Having got an Aux-in I also installed the HK Drive + Play to control the iPod. I put the HK control unit in the mesh map pocket in the passenger footwell. I put the display on the left end of the lid of the little dash compartment. From there it's easy to run the wire to the control unit down and across the top of the center console and down into the passenger footwell - tucked away. I put the control unit in the map pocket because from there it's easy to get a short wire for the radio aux-in up into the back of the radio. I also put the iPod in the map pocket. The HK control wheel sits on the center console.

The whole thing is neat and tidy and works well, and is cheaper than the Soundgate. I lose the CD Changer but don't need it with the iPod. The Bahamas radio is also more powerful than the factory head and the sound quality is excellent. It doesn't look bad either, not garish like some of the current aftermarket radios

I'm not sure whether this will work if you have the Cellphone or anything else other than the CD Changer on the d2b bus - because replacing the factory radio will break the d2b chain. My car doesn't have these options, only the CD changer uses the d2b bus.

Anyway, thought I'd post this here as I spent a long time trying to figure out what to do, and others might find the info useful.

Cheers,
-Keith
Old 01-26-2007, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500 2001 Formula 1 Edition;
Originally Posted by keitheva
I was unhappy with the quality of iPod sound through an FM modulator, and the factory radio doesn't have an Aux-in. This MY has the d2b fiber-optic bus so it's also not straightforward to add an Aux-in to the factory radio. I looked at the Soundgate AUXMB1 fiber to copper converter but, a) it's expensive, and b) Logjam hasn't had them for months. So I decided to replace the factory radio with a radio with an Aux-in.

I installed a Blaupunkt Bahamas MP46 Radio with no problems. The existing car wiring to radio connector matches up to the Blaupunkt inputs/outputs 1:1 except for the Cellphone mute. The Blaupunkt also has a speed-sensitive volume.

Having got an Aux-in I also installed the HK Drive + Play to control the iPod. I put the HK control unit in the mesh map pocket in the passenger footwell. I put the display on the left end of the lid of the little dash compartment. From there it's easy to run the wire to the control unit down and across the top of the center console and down into the passenger footwell - tucked away. I put the control unit in the map pocket because from there it's easy to get a short wire for the radio aux-in up into the back of the radio. I also put the iPod in the map pocket. The HK control wheel sits on the center console.

The whole thing is neat and tidy and works well, and is cheaper than the Soundgate. I lose the CD Changer but don't need it with the iPod. The Bahamas radio is also more powerful than the factory head and the sound quality is excellent. It doesn't look bad either, not garish like some of the current aftermarket radios

I'm not sure whether this will work if you have the Cellphone or anything else other than the CD Changer on the d2b bus - because replacing the factory radio will break the d2b chain. My car doesn't have these options, only the CD changer uses the d2b bus.

Anyway, thought I'd post this here as I spent a long time trying to figure out what to do, and others might find the info useful.

Cheers,
-Keith

Sounds cool. I could use an Aux input for my Sirius radio. Please post some pictures of how the unit looks in dash.