SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: What a Mr Clean Heavy Duty Magic Eraser can do...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 SL500
What a Mr Clean Heavy Duty Magic Eraser can do...

I recommend using the heavy duty that come in a 2 pack and testing on an inconspicous spot. The tonneu cover in the pics was cleaned with many other vinyl-safe products (like Meguiar's Vinyl cleaner) and a scrub brush before using the "eraser". The problem was all these other cleaners were not removing the "dressing" that previous detailers had used on the car in the past (from the previous owner, my father) and the dirt was sealed in. It worked great on all the vinyl, the leather on the steering wheel, the dash,all the plastic and the one ink spot I had on the seat leather. The pics were taken before I put any new protectant on.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
some
Wow!!
Old 04-16-2007, 01:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Youngtimer
be careful on leather, never rub too hard. that stuff is basically superfine sandpaper, and can damage the leather if you rub too much/hard. don't ask me how i know, it's too painful to think about
Old 04-17-2007, 02:42 PM

97 SL500
Originally Posted by ZedStyle
be careful on leather, never rub too hard. that stuff is basically superfine sandpaper, and can damage the leather if you rub too much/hard. don't ask me how i know, it's too painful to think about
Yes, don't rub hard at all...just enough pressure to make reasonable contact. On the leather for spot cleaning (after testing on inconspicious spot), use just the corner of the eraser and try to keep the eraser off the surrounding area as much as possible. Condition the leather after you let it dry for a little while. Originally, I had no intention of trying this on the steering wheel leather but I barely touched it when I was doing the dash and then I looked and saw that the spot I barely touched looked brand new and the eraser had a black streak on it. I was rinsing the eraser in a bucket of water frequently and the steering wheel totally blackened two buckets (about 1 gallon of water each). It took 5 water changes to do my whole interior minus the leather parts of the seats which I did not do, except for the ink spot.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:10 PM
Almost a Member!

1996 SL60 AMG
Originally Posted by ZedStyle
use vaseline next time
Old 05-27-2007, 06:45 AM

1991 500SL
Hi Lincoln,

I'm new here and am based in the Philippines, planning a trip to Calif. in the near future...where can I get the stuff?...supermarket or auto stores?

Thanks in advance,

Chicky
Old 05-28-2007, 02:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'87 560SL Sold, '99 SL500 For Keeps
Originally Posted by chicky
Hi Lincoln,

I'm new here and am based in the Philippines, planning a trip to Calif. in the near future...where can I get the stuff?...supermarket or auto stores?

Thanks in advance,

Chicky
Any supermarket carries Magic Erasers

Bob