SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Throttle problem question & ASR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throttle problem question & ASR

Got the ASR light and the usual issues, restart and it got better until it didn't. Then I rebuilt the eta harnesses for both eta's which were toast, no insulation left whatsoever. Reinstalled and I still have an ASR light now plus, rather than just limp home mode, once it warms up it starts cutting out hard off idle. It's still just in LH mode but it cuts on and off constantly. Other than checking the eta harnesses again just to make sure, I'm not sure where to go from here. I can replace the ASR sensor and brake sensor but I don't want to just start replacing stuff without a plan, could get expensive. Any ideas? This is on a 95 SL600 w/65k miles.

P.S. One thing I noticed when it was going bad was that when I turned off ASR and later, when I changed the wheels from the Speedline 11x18's to stock, it got better for awhile. Which sensor senses rear wheel speed that would affect the ASR system? Seems like a likely candidate, at least for the original problem.

tia

Leonard

Last edited by lconn; 04-20-2007 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:44 PM

500 SL R129, Blue - 1991. Mini Cooper S, Works Kit Silver - 2007. Mitsubishi FTO, Silver - 1996.
have you checked for water getting into or near the asr unit... this happened to me and it was because I had steam cleaned the engine... forcing water behind the seal... it took weeks of worry and was looking at some very expensive replacement options. If its water contamination you can try a very small nozzel on a vacuum... which is what I had to do eventually
Old 04-23-2007, 08:21 AM
Almost a Member!

300sl R129 Lotec turbo, 300sel 6.3 w109
1. The diametter of the wheels (front and rear) is the same?

2. Check the sensor of the asr at the rear wheels. Propably there is the problem, mulfuction of the sensors... (not expensive) Get the car on the diagnostic.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:05 PM

Asr

The sensors are the next thing, can someone give me the shortcuts to where they are and how to check/replace them?

The wheels are the same diameter now. Originally, I had 18" Speedlines on it and they weren't the same size. Started getting the ASR problem, changed the wheels back to the originals and the problem went away for awhile which would indicate a sensor problem rather than a throttle problem. I then made the mistake of checking the throttles to find wires and dust, not a scrap of insulation, so I got diverted in that direction for awhile.

Are the ASR sensors the same as the ABS sensors and is there a way to check them other than replacing all of them? I have an ALLDATADYI subscription for the car so I'll check there, I just assume someone has already done all this and has the most likely path to maximum return on minimum effort. TIA

Leonard