SL/R129: Bose Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Current: AMG GT-C. Sold: 01 CLK55, 00 ML55, 01 ML55, 06 E55
Bose Problems

My mom has a 94 SL500 w/ the Bose system in it. The speakers are muddy and one pops and is staticky sounding. One of the audio guys i've talked to about the system says he's "positive it's the amp because they always mess up." However, I see others claiming the speakers get water damaged easily. I'm trying to set her up with a nice sounding system for mothers day and her birthday. I was going to try to replace it with alpine speakers and a newer head unit.

1)Is the system really good from the factory? It seems like a bose acoustimass system should be nice. If so, we'll just replace/repair the amp if that's the problem.

2) We would also like to add a cd changer? Has anyone done that? I was wondering if you can set up hte cd changer system inside the cabin rather than in the trunk. Plug n play? The radio has CD buttons

3) Unfortunately the antenna needs to be replaced so it's tough to tell about hte audio quality right now. there aren't significant pops, but lots of crackles and lots of static and blurred audio. Does this sound like the speakers or the amp? Thanks!
Old 05-12-2007, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 300SL, panoramic top
BOSE problems

I am having massive problems with my Parrot car telephone kit and a Blaupunkt aftermarket sat nav unit in my C140 which has the Bose Amplifier in it. My electrician advises replacing the sat nav with the bespoke head unit (Becker Exquisite or Special) and living with it or stripping out the entire audio system and starting afresh.

When Bose is on song, it's fine if not Audiophile quality but you'd need a double glazed C140 to appreciate such sound! An R129 will not repay the investment.

I'd suggest you investigate putting the system right - it will probably be less expensive in the long run, and the quality of the system should be plenty good enough.

Try talking to these people - http://www.carstereohelp.com/strmercedes.htm
Friends in the US pointed me their way.

Hope this helps