SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Tie Rods

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 SL320 Silver
Tie Rods

having problems with something i thought was going to be a lot easier!
Bought two tie rods from the dealer, home, took the wheel off, managed to get the bolts off from the ball joints (at the end of the rods, that's right isn't it? the rubber-joint-bits) and now i think they're actually screwed into the bit that connects them to the wheel. anyone know? Who's done this before?
iv bashed with the hammer but dont want to wreck it. I noticed that there are little socket holes in the ends of the threaded bolts (which come out of the ball-joint) but its so seized that i cant unscrew them.
Thanks if you can help...
Old 07-17-2007, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL600 r230, SL600 r129,, SL500 r230, ML320, C280 Sport, 190e 2.3 16V (2)
Originally Posted by dan_ando
having problems with something i thought was going to be a lot easier!
Bought two tie rods from the dealer, home, took the wheel off, managed to get the bolts off from the ball joints (at the end of the rods, that's right isn't it? the rubber-joint-bits) and now i think they're actually screwed into the bit that connects them to the wheel. anyone know? Who's done this before?
iv bashed with the hammer but dont want to wreck it. I noticed that there are little socket holes in the ends of the threaded bolts (which come out of the ball-joint) but its so seized that i cant unscrew them.
Thanks if you can help...
You need a pickle-fork. It has a tapered end that seperates the ball joint fron the steering knuckle. It is hit with a large hammer. You can probably rent one at your local autoparts store.

Then you need to get the car aligned. Before you seperate the tie rod from the tie rod tube, measure the distance to the other tie rod end so at least you get it close. Make sure both tie rods are threaded into the tube the same amount of threads, then turn the tube to adjust the total link length. You'll wear your tires soon if you don't get it aligned right away. Better make sure nothing else is worn up there, or you'll be paying for another alignment soon.