SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Vive La Difference!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 SL500 Silver
Vive La Difference!

I had the pleasure of visiting the USA this Christmas (Christmas Dinner in Mystic CT), and I ordered a rental car online from the UK, to be collected from Boston Logan airport. It was snowing when I arrived, and I asked for an upgrade to a 4x4. "Sorry, nothing left" was the reply but I was given a Chevy Impala LS at no extra cost. Apparently it's a 3.5 ltr V6 with 200 plus HP. "Great!" I said. Unfortunately, the torque steer was a problem to be wrestled with (literally) and the word 'Drift' took on a new meaning. It didn't live up to expectations, and I spent a week looking forward to getting home to my baby. When I got home last week and once again took hold of that perfectly controllable 315 HP, I forgot about women for about three days!
At 60 years of age, am I alone? I recently added a quote from the late James Dean to my number plate (such slogans are illegal here in the UK): It reads "Dream as if you'll live forever- live as if you'll die today!"
Old 01-02-2008, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500 2001 Formula 1 Edition;
The Impala SS is around 300 hp and that's a ridiculous amount of HP to put through front wheel drive. I had one as a rental car also.

There is no comparrison to the lovely R129.

I don't know what the dolts at Chevy were thinking. Stupid.