SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: squealing squeaky brakes solution?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
squealing squeaky brakes solution?

I have a 99 SL500 with the much discussed squeaky and squealing brakes. It is very embarrassing to be pulling up to some great SoCal restaurant in a nice ride only to have everyone think you are too cheap or too stupid to fix your noisy brakes.

I went to an indy today and he told me that this is a long time unsolved mercedes problem (as we well know) and that he thinks it has something to do with water getting into the pads from car washing or rain. He was skeptical that even ceramic pads would help the problem.

He checked my pads and saw I had 60% pad left in the back and about 50% pad left in the front, grabbed a can of "stuff" and started spraying the pads. I asked him what it was and he said a lubricant, no different than WD-40. Now I know brakes need friction to work so I was worried I had just lost all stopping power. He told me that my brakes would still work but to give a little extra room the first few stops. I pulled away and no more squeak! The first brake application was no different than before the stuff so I think this might be the cure.

But now I need the forum to approve or disapprove of this fix and tell me why it is harmless or if it is the worst thing anyone can do to their car.

Thanks in advance for comments.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
some
cheap brakes squeel. ive never had a problem with my SL or E squealing, the previous owner must have put crappy brakes on the car, OR they were not broken in correctly and now they are glazed over.

Mark
Old 01-24-2008, 09:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A woman needs her toys!:98 SL500 for now
I was having the same problem with my 98, especially after washing. the previous owner had replaced the front and rear brakes, front rotors but did not change out the rear rotors. I had the dealership change them out and the noise was gone. I get a little squeak after I wash here but it goes away by the time I finish backing out of my drive way.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:29 PM

Make sure the calliper ring, where it meets the back of the pad has brake lube grease on it...if not, you will have squeeling....strange but true.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:27 AM

2003 SL500
tell me more about the caliper ring please

I am out of ideas and patience - I have tried two sets of front rotors, both new and three sets of pads including mercedes pads from the dealer, Wagner thermoquiet, and autozone premium.
I cannot get the squealing to stop. I have had the rotors machined and the MB pads installed - still squealing. what is the secret?????? Does anyone have any suggestions. Help!!!
Rocco
Old 12-21-2010, 08:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL55, SL500, E350
Try silver arrow (for 2002 R129 silver arrow eddition) rotors and akebono pads. I've had noise issues for about 6 years (many pad/rotors combinations) before I hit my "jackpot" with the combo mentioned above.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:28 PM

06 230 chassis
just an afterthought, check the bearings in the hubs, i've sold a few front spindles because the bearings were almost welded to the hubs....normaly from east coast salt on the roads. also, be sure the "cups" in the calipers move in and out freely, if they stick "out" ...the pads are being pushed up gainst the rotor.....all the time.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:48 PM

2003 SL500
Red face brake squeal finally fixed

After 5 sets of pads including MB OEM installed at dealer and two sets of rotors i finally solved my brake squeal on my 1999 SL 500. i installed Centric Rotors and Centric ceramic pads. Stops great without the embarrassing squeal. Dont believe the BS about brake paste and other tricks. The squeal is simply from the pads and rotors. Metallic pads make noise. Ceramic pads do not make noise.
RRV.