SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Reliability?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'99 C230K, '97 E420 Sport
Reliability?

I'm in the market for one of these beauties & I have a few questions that need answered. I like the bodystyle of the mid 90's SL500. This will be my daily as well. If there's any concerns I should know about feel free to help me out. thanx!

Fuel Mileage?

Suspension issues?

The Auto Top?

Engine/Trans reliability?

Would it be a better idea to get a post '00 model yr?
Old 02-03-2008, 10:15 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
Regardless of which model you end up with; 300, 320, 500, or 600, the powertrain is pretty much bulletproof and won't give you a lot of problems.

The only thing to mention, if you get serious about a '93/'94 model year, is that you need to demand to see the invoice for the replacement of the original wiring harness. That was a huge and very expensive problem for those model years, and you should take a pass on any vehicle of that vintage that hasn't had the harness replaced.

Another nugget is that, if you get serious about a 600, you need to make sure the hydraulic suspension is in good shape. The rubber seals on the struts and nitrogen spheres go bad with age and mileage, and these items can be very expensive...you can bank on $3k or so to put just that one system back into shape if it hasn't had proper maintenance.

I guess the common theme here is: Pick a vehicle with a full maintenance history, so that you can make sure that everything that should have been done actually was done. Also, avoid vehicles with any obvious problems...minor issues are like cockroaches...for every 1 you see there are 10 you don't. So just avoid other peoples' deferred maintenance issues...it's easier and ultimately cheaper to find a nice vehicle with no issues.

The gas mileage on all of the models is pretty good, but if that is a concern for you then you probably want to go for a 300 or 320, because they really shine when it comes to fuel economy. You can expect to be in the high 20mpg's (or better) during combined driving. The 500s and 600s don't do as well mileage-wise, because of their high horsepower, but still aren't as bad as SUVs or the like.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-04-2008, 04:56 PM

'99 C230K, '97 E420 Sport
Awesome thanks!

Fuel efficiency isn't huge but I don't want it to get any worse than my caddy. I avg 20mpg w/city & rural driving....26-28 hwy. If I was to get anything it'd be a 500. Also that's what I've heard....The drivetrains & the 5.0 are reliably strong engines.

The harnesses detoriate? Maybe I'll just play it safe & stay clear of the those model years then. thanks!

What about the top? any issues?
Old 02-04-2008, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by MercELITE
Awesome thanks!

Fuel efficiency isn't huge but I don't want it to get any worse than my caddy. I avg 20mpg w/city & rural driving....26-28 hwy. If I was to get anything it'd be a 500. Also that's what I've heard....The drivetrains & the 5.0 are reliably strong engines.

The harnesses detoriate? Maybe I'll just play it safe & stay clear of the those model years then. thanks!

What about the top? any issues?

Hydraulic cylinders in the a-pillars are famous for going south. Look for one that has already had them replaced...Also, make sure the soft top is in good shape as they are very pricey as well...Pano hard tops command top dollar but many don't like them as the let a lot of sun in...