SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: porsche cayman s "design edition"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 10:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
porsche cayman s "design edition"

anyone have an opinion on the cayman s? i'm a fan of the design edition because (a) i'm a sucker for something that looks good, and (b) i think that porsche offers altogether too many options, making it very difficult to set up the car in a way that doesn't leave you second-guessing yourself, and the design edition package is very nicely executed. i drive a "silver arrow" sl500, in no small part due to (a), above, so we needn't get into the "not worth it" aspects of the DE package (i already know it's ludicrous to ask nearly $10k for an appearance package, notwithstanding that building the same set-up car separately would cost more, and that's without considering the goody-bag the DE comes with).

i'm planning to head to a dealer and drive an S pretty soon, but i'd be interested to hear what others here, particularly R129'ers have to say about the car. i consider my SL to be a great, huge, S-Class with 2-seats grand-tourer that has the poise and intent of a hovercraft. love the ride, but have recently been thinking about something "new", and tighter than this car, which is a bit bearish in size and hungry for petrol!

like i said, looking for some opinions. thanks!

vic