SL/R129: Soft top limit switch location

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts
2018 GLE350, 2014 G550, 2000 SL500, 1980 TR8, 1995 E320 Cabriolet
Question Soft top limit switch location

Does anyone know if there is a limit switch that detects when the soft top stack is fully down (e.g., all the way into the rear compartment (the "bin"), but before the hard cover closes)? And if there is, where is it?

I just replaced the soft top (myself) because the old one developed a cracked rear quarter window. The rear quarter windows developed large "dimples" in them where the rear roof bow (the one that joins the front and rear soft top sections together) rests on the plastic when the top is folded. I just assumed this was normal aging, but the new top developed said dimples almost immediately.

I looked carefully at the top in action and it appears the that top hydraulics are not only pulling the roof into the bin but continue to pull it down hard against the bottom of the bin. This seems to be crushing the top bow into the plastic windows, causing the dimples (which eventually become cracks). I suspect there is a limit switch that tells the top controller when the stack is fully stowed and that it is time to stop retracting the top and start lowering the hard cover. I think this switch is set set incorrectly (too low) which causes the hydraulics to excessively compress the top (but it is not set so low that the switch is never triggered so the top malfunctions).

Thus my question. If I can find the adjustment, I think I can keep the top from being crushed this way.

Has anyone experienced a problem like this? Any help/info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

- FD
Old 07-24-2008, 05:59 PM
Banned

Received 388 Likes on 307 Posts
'09 S600, (2) R129 300SLs, '03 SL500, '03 SL55
Originally Posted by Floobydust
Does anyone know if there is a limit switch that detects when the soft top stack is fully down (e.g., all the way into the rear compartment (the "bin"), but before the hard cover closes)? And if there is, where is it?
There is a switch, and it operates just like you think it does. There are two versions. Your '99 has the newer version; the attached picture is of the older version, but the location is the same for both.
Attached Thumbnails Soft top limit switch location-s84-3.jpg  
Old 08-25-2008, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts
2018 GLE350, 2014 G550, 2000 SL500, 1980 TR8, 1995 E320 Cabriolet
bobterry99 -

Thanks (belatedly) for the info. The switch is a magnetic type and it is just where you said would be. Interestingly, there is no adjustment provision. But it turns out that problem is not the switch. I figured out that my window crinkling problem was happening because the two foam supports that are supposed to be glued to the floor of the roof storage area were not in the right place. The glue had become less sticky with age allowing them to move around. These pads need to be located so that the rear upper roof bow rests on them but not the rear lower roof bow. This takes the weight of the soft top stack off of the windows and helps prevent the crinkling. I moved them back to the proper place, glued them down, and the problem has disappeared!

Thanks again,

- FD