SL/R129: Front Bumper insert Missing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl 500
Front Bumper insert Missing

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for your quick replies to my previous questions. I have an 1996 SL that is missing an insert on the left front bumper as you face the car. It looks like a plastic grill, it sits in between both fog lamps at the bottom of the bumper. Although it looks like one piece it is actually 3 and the left side of this piece mysteriously disappeared (about in the middle of the bumper vertically (and left passenger side horizontally. The attached pic should make it clear which area I'm referring to. Two questions:

1. Can someone tell me the correct name for the part that is missing? I dont even know what to ask for when I go to look for it.

2. Can someone tell me where I can find the part used, preferably?
also, if anyone has made a custom mesh grill to replace this piece that would be helpful too, I have a bad feeling I'll need to buy a whole new bumper.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Front Bumper insert Missing-410.jpg  
Old 12-10-2008, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
some
tow hook cover
Old 02-13-2009, 05:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95 SL500 Panoramic, K&N, Custom Intake/TB, RENNtech RB, AMG Monoblock
Originally Posted by thompson12001
Hi,

Thanks to everyone for your quick replies to my previous questions. I have an 1996 SL that is missing an insert on the left front bumper as you face the car. It looks like a plastic grill, it sits in between both fog lamps at the bottom of the bumper. Although it looks like one piece it is actually 3 and the left side of this piece mysteriously disappeared (about in the middle of the bumper vertically (and left passenger side horizontally. The attached pic should make it clear which area I'm referring to. Two questions:

1. Can someone tell me the correct name for the part that is missing? I dont even know what to ask for when I go to look for it.

2. Can someone tell me where I can find the part used, preferably?
also, if anyone has made a custom mesh grill to replace this piece that would be helpful too, I have a bad feeling I'll need to buy a whole new bumper.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1996 SL-Class Tow Hook Cover

p/n 1298800005
http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.asp...SGR=030&SGN=02

$48.88 at parts.com
http://www.parts.com/