SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 01:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'93 SL600
Tires

For those of us in the U.S.A. I found a great place to get good tires extemely cheap. I waited until I received, mounted, and drove on them before I posted this.
I am running 285/35/18 on my '93 SL600 in the rear. I was almost ready to go with a set of General Exclaim's from Tire Rack, until I came across this guy on Ebay. I got a brand new set of two Pirelli PZero's for $299 which included shipping!! These tires sell for $290 per tire on Tire Rack. After sending my payment, I received the tires in two days and they were perfect.
Anyhow, I am in saving money mode and thought I would pass this on.

His member ID on ebay is "exceptionalautovenue"

I promise you I am not affiliated with him in any way!!! It is just an exceptional value in my opinion.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BMW F02 (750Li) F10 (550i)
good info thanks !!!
Old 02-25-2009, 10:37 AM

It changes all the time
If those are really new tires, then that is a good deal, and I might buy some. My wife drives the back roads to work in Napa and drives that 129 like a slot car. The outside edges are gone. Check the DOT date of mfg on each tire. the digits are stamped into the rubber on the sidewalls. The first digits are the week they were made and the last is the year. You may have some tires that are maybe 5 years old already. Let us know what you find.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'93 SL600
Originally Posted by hineywineries
If those are really new tires, then that is a good deal, and I might buy some. My wife drives the back roads to work in Napa and drives that 129 like a slot car. The outside edges are gone. Check the DOT date of mfg on each tire. the digits are stamped into the rubber on the sidewalls. The first digits are the week they were made and the last is the year. You may have some tires that are maybe 5 years old already. Let us know what you find.
If it is located after the DOT stamp, then I guess they were made in 2005. The last two digits are 05. So I guess that makes them between 3 & 4 years old. Is that Okay? I am not real knowlegeable about tires or anything mechanical for that matter. The tires on my BMW are over 8 years old and still have not had one problem with them. Does age really affect rubber that much when were talking less than 10 years or so? Please let me know. I will definitely be more diligent about this when buying tires.
I have them on and have driven about 500 miles on them so far. They are outstanding with no problems.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:21 AM

It changes all the time
Age makes a difference when the tires are not being used. There are components in the rubber that keeps them pliable due to driving. These tires have been slowly deteriorating over the last 4 years. There are cases where tires have been sitting on the shelf for almost 10 years and sold as new, because they look new. Some of these tires have blown out prematurely causing accidents and law suits. I just bought a set from tire rack for a client, and they were only several months old. We consumers buy things thinking they were made yesterday when in fact they could be years old, because they are produced in huge batches. I just bought a Garmin GPS a few months ago and punched in a friend's address ,and it doesn't show. The house is close to two years old. When he looks at the satelite picture, his house is still a pile of dirt.