SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Center Console Removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 550
Center Console Removal

How do I get to the window operator switch in the center console ???

The right side window is acting up, but works fine when I use the top release switch, so I'm pretty sure it's the window switch - just needs repair or replacement...
Old 02-24-2009, 08:02 AM

'93 SL600
Originally Posted by JunoJim
How do I get to the window operator switch in the center console ???

The right side window is acting up, but works fine when I use the top release switch, so I'm pretty sure it's the window switch - just needs repair or replacement...
Hi there JunoJim,

If you read through the following link it should help you out. There are also disassembly videos for the R129 center console.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129...g-console.html

Hope this helps!! If not, there are a mass of guys on here that have an endless amount of knowlege. Their awesome!!

Cheers,
Old 02-24-2009, 08:38 PM

SL 550
Thanks !!! Turns out there are quite a few videos in the sticky threads at the top of this forum. One of them shows how to remove the console, which I downloaded. I'm going to see if those special removal tools are available on eBay...

I think I can get to the right window switch without removing the entire console, maybe just the screws around the ashtray...
Old 02-25-2009, 07:04 PM

SL 550
Well, the video doesn't show the ashtray, which seems to be behind the console. Two Torx 9 screws were holding the ashtray in place. I can see where the console screws were, but they're missing - somebody's been there before. It feels like the ashtray is holding in the lower part of the console. I'll have to see when I get the removal tools, which I've ordered from eBay, but they don't look like the ones in the video - Geez !!!

BTW - if the radio is disconnected - this is not mentioned. It has to be re-programmed. If you don't have the code, don't disconnect the power from the radio !!!

Last edited by JunoJim; 02-25-2009 at 07:09 PM.