SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: SL500 buying and running advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W124 E220 carbriolet, '96
SL500 buying and running advice

I have not posted alot on MB forums, but have been a member for a while now and first off would like to thank all those that have indirectely helped me through various threads.

I am thinking of buying a R129 SL500, are there any major problems that i sound be aware of before purchasing one? i understand that i shoud keep a keen eye on the roof and electrics but nothing more after that.

My intention is to install a lpg conversion kit on it and use it as my daily car (other MB (w124 cabriolet) is kept in the garage). I do a fair bit of traveling approx. 23k miles a year although i am trying my best to reduce it and want a reliable and fairly economical car. To my understanding the sl500 give about 22mpg on a combined run and with the local price of lpg it translates to an effective 37-40mpg on a cost basis.

I dont mind paying for the conversion as i plan to keep the car for a good 3 years before i even think about putting it in the garage.

At the moment i am running a slighty tunned volvo s60 d5 giving 35mpg and although it is a nice car i want something with alot more prestige, and a cabriolet for the 10 mins of sunny summer we have in UK.

Any advice on buying a SL, or lpg conversions would be much appreicated.