SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Euro Spec headlight fitment question...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 500SL
Euro Spec headlight fitment question...

Hello everyone,

Sorry my first post is a question without an introduction, but I'm in a bit of a pinch.

I purchased some new bezels yesterday but I'm going to return them and go with new Euro Spec headlights instead. I have to replace one lens, so that means two news lens so they will match. That's $300 vs $535 (@ Adsit) less $50 rebate for one "good" old unit. And I'm not certain my 20 year old plastic tabs on the housing won't break off.

I've searched read every post I can find on all sites and would like to claify a couple of things from those who have done this mod...I undertstand these are suitable for left hand drive, correct? Am I correct they are not exactly plug and play - the old plug has to be re-used correct? Is this difficult? Other than possibly a plug, the euro's don't use any of the old housing, correct? Even the rubber fitting around the old housing? And Adsit tells me the wipers will no longer work - is this correct?

Thanks in adavance, ep
Thanks, ep
Old 12-28-2009, 10:17 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Where to start? The Italians or the Germans?
Hello and welcome! Do you mean the xenon's or euro style headlights?
Old 01-02-2010, 09:57 PM

1990 500SL
Not xenons, straight euro

The euro's look nice. I've attached a couple of pics.

The "before" pics are taken as the car came off the transport from SoCal. My wife's uncle didn't need it anymore, so I went about a "rescue". New PS Pump, antenna motor and mast, battery, new OEM pads and rotors all around, new Michelin Pilot AS's, changed all remaining fluids (Oil, coolant, differential and transmission service), then repainted the front bumper and installed new fog lens and the Euro headlights.

Next up - OEM shocks and an alignment (asap), new hood pad (sometime in the next month) and new leather seats and padding (spring).

The car has 270 on the clock but it had a new engine and wiring harness at 205k along with very regular transmission services.

ep (Frisco, TX)
Attached Thumbnails Euro Spec headlight fitment question...-bodyshot-off-transport-nigth-resized.jpg   Euro Spec headlight fitment question...-old-front-end-resized.jpg   Euro Spec headlight fitment question...-new-rear-qtr-shot-resized.jpg   Euro Spec headlight fitment question...-euro-lights-resized.jpg  

Last edited by epfrisco; 01-02-2010 at 10:10 PM. Reason: adding pics and description of work done
Old 01-02-2010, 10:43 PM

Good looking car my friend! Those are definitely the American spec headlights. Do you know if you want to convert to the xenon's or just the euro spec? I'll do some research but if I remember correctly you can just bolt up the Euro lights (like the one's off of ebay) but the xenon's take some new wiring and a bit of work.

Rick
Old 01-02-2010, 11:02 PM

1990 500SL
I'm set - no upgrade to xenon.

The old lights (with the bezel) I understand were American Spec. The after pics show the Euro's (from Adsit Company) installed. Next $$ goes to suspension.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by epfrisco
The old lights (with the bezel) I understand were American Spec. The after pics show the Euro's (from Adsit Company) installed. Next $$ goes to suspension.
Ahh, yes I see in your pictures. I've got Bilstein shocks and H&R lowering springs in my 129 and I love the way it drives, I'd reccomend checking it out. Since you've got an older model you shouldn't need the spacers like I did. Good luck with that! Have you given wheels any thoughts?
Old 01-07-2010, 10:08 PM

1990 500SL
I think I am sticking to a stock set-up

When I changed the suspension in my A6 I did about six months of research. I became very familar with what a Bilstein / HR combo would do for that car. For the 129, I think I'm going to stay with the OEM set-up on the big sidewalls of 16's. I really like the smooth ride as an alternative to my daily drive the A6. Plus, I do very little of my own work so even at bargin indy mechanic and body shot rates, I've got a bit more invested into this car that planned, to start thinking about new wheels would be a bit much. But hey, it's my only hobby right now. If I find some local OEM 16" wheels in good shape from someone who upgraded, I might upgrade.

ep