SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Oil Leak on SL320 with 40K

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2003 | 07:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S500
Unhappy Oil Leak on SL320 with 40K

Hi, does anyone know of a problem with the SL320 engine as mine with only a genuine 40K has sprung an oil leak.

I have had it quickly checked out by a local garage and they reckon it may be the head gasket or timing belt cover etc.??

They also said it's strange for a Merc engine to have this problem at only 40K.

Can anyone share any thoughts or passed experiences etc.

Thanks

Kevin
Old 03-25-2003 | 07:01 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

Received 3,349 Likes on 2,067 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Sorry to hear of your problems

Go to the Mercedes dealer and complain. You may have a chance to get the repair covered, even if out of warrany. A car at that price level shouldn't have issues like that, certainly not at that mileage.

The dealer usually provides no support unless you have a good or long relationship with them. I don't know if it is the same in the UK as in the US, but all dealers have a support Manager assigned to them, I believe by territory. If you can connect up with that person, they can authorize to cover just about any repair.

I have done this a few times and found these folks to be very reasonable and helpful.

Good luck!

Wolfman
Old 04-01-2003 | 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with Wolfman, my uncle has a LandCruiser that he servieces religiously at his Toyota dealer, all scheduled work done by the same dealer, even oil changes and at 60K his headgasket blew( this is what Im thinking, but I believe it was something else that failed). He took it to the dealer (this was his 2nd LandCruiser) and explained to them what happened and then he contacted Toyota, and Toyota wanting to keep a good customer happy decided to pay for the vehicle to be fixed. As I recall it was close to a $2K job, engine had to be dropped and completely disassembeled.

I would seriously try talking to your dealer and if not them, then MBUSA. Good Luck
Old 04-16-2003 | 08:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S500
Oil Leak '96 SL320

Hi all

I have been told what the problem is. It is infact the head gasket, but is going to cost more than originally thought by my local garage man. He has told me that it is a modified gasket and the heads need skimming etc.

I am going to get a quote for the work to be done by a Mercedes garage too, so I can compare prices.

Apparently, this is common on 320 engines..

Thanks

Kevin