SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Transmission Rattle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 SL500
Transmission Rattle

I have a 1997 SL500 with 128,000 miles on it. The transmission has begun to rattle and I don't exactly know what to do about it. The car is very clean but I can't afford to bring it to Mercedes to fix.

I read somewhere that it had a plastic part that tended to break down after 90k miles or so that could be the problem. Don't know if I read it right and can't find the site again.

Car runs fine. No shifting problems in the transmission. It rattles whether it is in gear, out of gear, driving or sitting still. No apparent change due to engine speed. The trans does not leak at all and I have to pay $40 for a tool to see if the trans fluid is at the correct level but I don't think it's off since there is no slipping at all.

Didn't want the wife to buy this car because it is too high end to easily work on with middle class money. Haven't sprung for the book yet ($200) but I probably will have to.

Anyone know if this problem is somewhat expected in a high mileage SL? I'm not afraid of a little work but I'd hate to just drive it until it drops dead. It is a beautiful car.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'87 560SL Sold, '99 SL500 For Keeps
elderjay,
First, welcome to this forum. You may want to complete your profile to show your location. You may be surprised at how many other members are probably close to you.

Before your rattle, you also may want to re-think buying the 'special tool' to check your trans fluid. I've seen them as low as $25 (ebay and on-line parts sellers) and even though that's still a ripoff, your tranny replace or rebuild would be thou$sand$. That said, if your fluid is low, you can determine that if you 'floor it' while in 4th and if the trans slips out of gear and engine over revs, your fluid is definitely low. Get the 'tool' if for nothing else peace of mind.

The most common part to wear is the bushing in the shift linkage. It is very inexpensive to buy, but a pain to install as you have to be under the car with enough room to work, ie, a lift or jack stands. Any qualified independent tech could do this job in 15 min or less.

Bob
Old 05-26-2010, 03:01 PM

03 SL500
Originally Posted by elderjay
I have a 1997 SL500 with 128,000 miles on it. The transmission has begun to rattle and I don't exactly know what to do about it. The car is very clean but I can't afford to bring it to Mercedes to fix.

I read somewhere that it had a plastic part that tended to break down after 90k miles or so that could be the problem. Don't know if I read it right and can't find the site again.

Car runs fine. No shifting problems in the transmission. It rattles whether it is in gear, out of gear, driving or sitting still. No apparent change due to engine speed. The trans does not leak at all and I have to pay $40 for a tool to see if the trans fluid is at the correct level but I don't think it's off since there is no slipping at all.

Didn't want the wife to buy this car because it is too high end to easily work on with middle class money. Haven't sprung for the book yet ($200) but I probably will have to.

Anyone know if this problem is somewhat expected in a high mileage SL? I'm not afraid of a little work but I'd hate to just drive it until it drops dead. It is a beautiful car.
Most likely is your transmissin mount, I just had mine replace at 66K. I know a great place in Duarat called AMB services center, they can take care for you easily.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:11 AM
Banned

2001 SL500, '09 Murano, '04 Honda
I'm no mechanic but i had a similar noise and thought it was my transmission as well but it turned out that it was my catayltic converters and yes, it was both of them. A 2001 SL500 with 55k miles. The insides started falling apart and it was making a constant rattling sound, similar to rocks or pebbles inside of a coke can.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It changes all the time
Just chuckling. You're a lucky man. Since you were set against getting the car, because you perceived a high maintenance item, you've got your boot against her throat. From here on in you can look to her to cover costs even if it comes out of beauty salon money. Yes, the 129s are expensive to maintain. I bought a 97 for my wife a couple of years ago and even being a retired MB mechanic with a full blown shop at my dispoal, it still drains alot of sheckels from my pocket.