SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: LED brake, tail and turn lights 1997 SL320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 SL320
LED brake, tail and turn lights 1997 SL320

On the off chance that someone has already done this or knows of a source for LED's for the SL so I don't have to re-invent the wheel. I haven't had any luck locating plug and play type LED's other than the anemic LED bulb replacements. I have experience in using/making cluster modules and there appears that there is room between the lenses and the back assembly of the OEM lights. I can't believe I'm the only one that desires LED turn/brake lights. Any information will be appreciated. I have the distinct feeling that I'll be having a project coming up in the near future.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:49 AM

1997 SL320
Originally Posted by manross
On the off chance that someone has already done this or knows of a source for LED's for the SL so I don't have to re-invent the wheel. I haven't had any luck locating plug and play type LED's other than the anemic LED bulb replacements. I have experience in using/making cluster modules and there appears that there is room between the lenses and the back assembly of the OEM lights. I can't believe I'm the only one that desires LED turn/brake lights. Any information will be appreciated. I have the distinct feeling that I'll be having a project coming up in the near future.
Hmmm I guess out of all of the views and no reply's, that I got my answer. I'd appreciate it if someone comes across any plug and plays or even a universal module type of application to please remember my post and let me know. Thanks.

Marty
Old 07-05-2010, 04:15 AM

C300
your parts are hard to find.. not many of us mod.. the SL class..
Old 07-05-2010, 06:27 AM

1997 SL320
Originally Posted by blueacc333
your parts are hard to find.. not many of us mod.. the SL class..
I'm sure finding that out. I don't want to do mods that I can't easily revert back to stock. No body changes. I have always done LED's to other vehicles I've owned and had no idea that there is very little out there for the SL. By the way an awesome job on your car. Super clean !!!

Marty
Old 07-31-2010, 03:01 PM

1997 SL320
Well I finally found some plug and plays from of all places the "Linex" dealer here in Mount Vernon, Wa. Some guy in Bellingham, Wa. made some custom brake and turn signal LED direct plug in bulbs. They are brighter then the original incandescent bulbs. That was one of my main concerns and up to this point all other plug in bulbs was anemic at best. I don't have the telephone number right now, but you can Google the Linex dealer in Mount Vernon, Wa. and get it. My bulbs varied between $20 and $24 a piece depending on how many LED's was used. Your particular application may cost differently. By the way these are the SMT type of led. Super bright. I absolutely love the look and I think that it updates the car significantly.

Marty