SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Common issues and repair costs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500
Common issues and repair costs

I am considering purchasing an SL500 (it's been my dream car for awhile). I would be looking at model years 1995-2000 with mileage between 50-70K. Can anyone give me an idea of common repair issues and costs associated with these cars? Any input or advice will be appreciated.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:29 AM
Banned

2001 SL500, '09 Murano, '04 Honda
I have a 2001 SL500 and i absolutely love it and drive it every single chance i get. As for common problems, i am sure others on this forum have a lot more experience than me but i have owned mine for about 9 months and when it comes to repairs, just be ready to spend a lot of $. There is no such thing as a cheap repair on these cars but its worth every penny.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:04 PM

1998 SL500, Pano, Black/Black
I purchased a 98 SL500 with Pano roof about 2 months ago after months of research and looking - I love it. It was one owner, clean CarFax, perfect body, but had several minor problems which were great for negotiating a better price. For starters, suggest you go to this link and read the buyer's guide - it is well done Buyers Guide for the R129 SL class http://www.brianclifton.com/cars/r129-buyers-guide/.

You don't say how mechanically inclined you are. For reference, I've done a lot of work on Japanese and U.S. cars and trucks (advanced DIY), but hadn't touched an MB. Using the information I found in this forum and benzworld.org, I knew what to look for, and how to fix what I found wrong. I was able to knock more than $2k additional off the dealer's price by pointing out what was wrong with the car and the MB dealer's cost to repair (they took the car to an MB Dealer to verify). I did the work myself for under $600.

Pay particular attention to the top cylinders (11 on my '98) - know where they are, run the top up and down at least 3 times and check each cylinder for leaks. Giveaways are puddles of hydraulic fluid in front of or behind the rear wheels after operating the top, or dripping from behind the sun visors. I've seen numbers on this forum of $4 to $7K for the MB dealer price to replace all of them. You can do it yourself for under $600 ($50 each plus shipping) if all were leaking by using the sources you'll find in the forums. Similarly, look for things like cracking front strut mounts (parts are $60 each, and it is a :30 DIY), drive shaft flex joints, front & rear suspension bushings, etc - the normal "stuff" you would look for on any used car. Source your parts carefully on the internet and you can save a bundle.

You mention you are looking for a '95 up - do a little searching on the '95, I think it has a lot of engine wiring harness problems (insulation breaks down). I'm pretty sure the problem affects '95s, if so, make sure the harness has been replaced.

Suggest you pay $150 to have an MB dealer or indy with a Star diagnosis set-up scan all the computer controlled systems (there are a lot on these cars and they are sensitive to things like battery chargers and jump starting). Also, if you are not familiar with these cars, after you have found "the car" take it to a good indy and have it checked top to bottom. Don't fall in love with the first one you look at (it is easy, they are so seductive) and good hunting.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:41 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
94 SL 600, 98 993, 89 XJS Conv., 85 Daimlier Princess 16 Hybrid Lincoln 16 Chevy crewcab
Calculate

Is money the object? if not buy a harness problem 93-95 SL! Is your life hassle free? buy a benz that is half analogy, where you can witness mechanics that openly weep. Buy newer, buy low miles, buy from the rich old guy who drove only on paved streets in moderate sun. I loved the challenge so I bought a car with a history that fed my ego! ( and taxed everything else)
Old 09-11-2010, 11:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2022 GLC 300
My 1994 has been the easiest car to keep in top shape of any I've owned.
Every part still available.
The upper harness takes 30 minutes, but costs ~$700
Nearly everything can be figured out with the various forums.
But, if you aren't a DIY'er, I'd be prepared for a lot of $$ outlay!