SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Soft top not latching

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Soft top not latching

I started off replacing the soft top on my sl500. In the process I noticed that i had a leak in 2 of the hydraulic cylinders. I sent them off to Dennis to rebuild them (did a great job). Now when I try to put the top up the front does not full latch. It seems to get a little bit of a grip but bounces back if you let go of the button. I don't think the metal part on the top is making contact with the reed switch in the the front. I was hopping that someone would have some suggestions.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 SL600
Not enough pressure in your cylinders?

Hi,

sounds like your cylinders are not making it past the dead spot.
Four questions: One, have you tried to push the top down into the locks by hand? If that helps, then you must have too little pressure in your system.

Two, how is your hydraulic fluid level in the pump? If the pump is sucking air, you won't get enough pressure to latch.

Three, have you cycled the system a few times? That should get some air out.

Four, have you checked the other cylinders for leaks? Working on the system may have caused another seal to blow.

I just had all my cylinders remanufactured by Top Hydraulics, and couldn't be happier. They post R&R instructions on their website, turned my cylinders around in a day, and gave me a three year warranty. www.tophydraulicsinc.com, ask for Klaus.