SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: For the kids....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500 AMG 1992
For the kids....

After hunting high and low, finally sourced and fitted a rear bench on the weekend. Tricky parts were lining up the rear cushion catch through the carpeted panel. Fortunately it worked first time.

With this done, the next concern was the safety of the lap belts in extreme conditions....this morning I went to see Quick Fit Safety Belt Service in Stanmore (Middlesex). The purpose was to replace the lap belts with 3 point belts.

The guys got to work while i wondered around Harrow town centre killing half a day.

Utilising the existing buckles and catches, the guys fed the belts through self made slits in the panel below the roll bar, securing the ends to the wheel-arch beneath the hood.

It's much tidier than the harness option (probably not as safe) but serves its purpose. Child seats also not an issue now (for those with young families), although leg room once fitted may be!

The quick fit outfit isn't bad, they seems to have captured a niche market and apparently have done hundreds of SL.

Anyone used these guys before?
Old 05-12-2003, 04:57 PM

I plan to take my 98 SL320 to QuickFit to get some better restraints in the rear.

Can I ask a couple of questions, please...

Did they do a quality job?

Do the belts look as though they could have been 'factory fitted'?

Any unsightly bars or anything?

You mentioned the harnesses perhaps being untidy... I'm considering this option... do they look bad? I was assuming it would look like a childs car seat, but with out the seat...

Can I be cheeky and ask how much you paid?

Sorry for the interrogation

Many thanks,

Leon
Old 05-12-2003, 06:27 PM

SL500 AMG 1992
Originally posted by Leon Rees
I plan to take my 98 SL320 to QuickFit to get some better restraints in the rear.

You mentioned the harnesses perhaps being untidy... I'm considering this option... do they look bad? I was assuming it would look like a childs car seat, but with out the seat...

Many thanks,

Leon
Hi Leon, don't mind the interrigation if it can help.

Quick Fit are not a very slick looking set up but certainly know what they're talking about (as they constantly reminded me of the number of SLs they'd done).

The quality of the work is good and the end result looks factory. They will use new belts but utilise your existing buckles so there's no problems there.

There are no unsightly bars as all the securing takes place within the hoods area. If harnesses are fitted then a bar is fitted above the rear wheelarches within the hoods stow area.

I went for the 3point (lap and diagnonal) for the flexibilty of having the baby seat on either side, although the harness could have been adapted for the baby seat, i preferred the 3 piont on both sides.

I'd seen pictures of the harness in an advert in Mercedes Enthusiast Magazine which put me off.

I've had no problems with the belts and i'm pleased that a baby seat is easily accomodated (albeit in the upright position only).
I bought a baby seat from QuickFit as well, it seemed to be the only seat that gave a snug fit without being too high.

I paid around £400 for 2 3-point belts and the baby seat including VAT and fitting. It took just over half a day to fit.

I'd recommend them.

Good luck.
Old 05-29-2003, 10:22 AM

SL500 AMG 1992
Originally posted by Leon Rees

Many thanks,

Leon

Leon, how did you get on at QuickFit Belts?