SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: R129 Horn fuse blows

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R129 Horn fuse blows

I have read all the horn fuse blowing issues and did not find any answers. I have a 1991 R129 which the horn fuse blows. I have gone a step further than anything I have read. I removed the air bag off the steering wheel and tried different tests. I could not find any shorting of the horn wires anywhere.
What I did find was that with the air bag removed, I could honk my horn till I was deaf. As soon as I reinstalled the air bag...one or two honks and the fuse blew. I could not see anything on the air bag which would cause a short and blow the fuse. I made several attempts to seal or tape anything that could possibly touch and cause the fuse to blow. I did not see any worn parts/protective bushings that could cause this. I protected the air bag anywhere it might touch the horn assembly.
Could the horn assembly be the problem? I almost don't think this is right because it works perfect without the air bag installed. Unless something is worn that I missed and touches the air bag when it is installed. But it could be.
Or is my air bag defective, or touching something and causing the horn to short.
I am stumped and would like some help or if someone had the same problem and had it resolved.
Thanks All MB Lovers