SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Battery Vent Holes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 01:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'96 SL600, '05 S55 AMG, '06 C230
Battery Vent Holes

Something to keep an eye out for if you get a replacement battery from MB... Replaced the battery a few years back in my SL600 using a battery from an MB dealer. The car, when new, was delivered with a sealed battery; no battery vent mechanism was designed into the car. The replacement MB battery was not sealed and had vent holes, fore and aft. So when I installed the replacement battery – without fully inspecting the battery – there was no vent hardware to install. Unbeknownst to me and over time, the battery leaked acid out the vent holes; more out the rear (hard acceleration) than the front. (It’s a V12… what do you expect?) So after a few years, I began getting corrosion in the battery compartment.

In my R129, it was easy to simply add a plastic line through the forward drain hole and connect it to the rear battery vent hole. I chose the rear vent hole since it would be easier to inspect the plastic line. You'll need a small plastic plug for the forward vent hole, and small plastic elbow for the rear vent hole, and a length of clear plastic tubing.

Obviously, if you have a sealed battery installed, this is not a problem. But MB batteries can be delivered as vented. Just an FYI.

Cheers,
Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Battery Vent Holes-battery-vent-hole.jpg   Battery Vent Holes-corrosion.jpg   Battery Vent Holes-new-vent-line.jpg