SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Weak Garage Door Opener

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 400E, 1997 SL500, 2009 R350, 1977 Ericson 32
Weak Garage Door Opener

I just got my SL on Saturday and managed to program the integrated mirror-mounted remote OK. However, it won't open the steel garage door from the outside when the door is closed. It will close the door from the outside and it will open the door when the car is inside of the garage. I tried stripping the insulation from the opener's wire antenna with no result. My handheld remote and the integrated opener in my wife's R350 both open the closed door from the outside with no problem.

Is there anything that can be done to increase the power of the transmitter?

Thanks,
Charles Taylor
Old 10-30-2012, 08:38 AM

MB SLS AMG
Ok does it means you want to extend the power of your garage door? If so the check your battery capacity, use a slightly higher voltage battery or it may be because of low voltage!!
Old 11-03-2012, 05:26 PM

1997 SL320
Originally Posted by chtaylor
I just got my SL on Saturday and managed to program the integrated mirror-mounted remote OK. However, it won't open the steel garage door from the outside when the door is closed. It will close the door from the outside and it will open the door when the car is inside of the garage. I tried stripping the insulation from the opener's wire antenna with no result. My handheld remote and the integrated opener in my wife's R350 both open the closed door from the outside with no problem.

Is there anything that can be done to increase the power of the transmitter?

Thanks,
Charles Taylor
I wouldn't try upping the voltage of the integrated remote control as it's probably already running the vehicles 12 volts. Plus playing with modern electronics designed circuits would not be wise unless your an electrical engineer I have a large all metal garage and workshop with two garage doors. My wife's receiver on the opener is nearer to a window than mine and hers opens up about 50 feet away. It's all about signal strength. You can approach it a couple of ways. I tried all of them with limited success except the one that was the easiest and most desirable to me. The integrated transmitter is basically a tunable wideband transmitter that has to cover numerous frequencies. The car remote is tuned tightly to the frequency of the receiver. Your wife's car is probably just lucky??? You can check with the car dealer and ask them to see if your transmitter is working up to par. You can ask a garage door opener manufacturer for any ideas. I didn't want to carry the hand remote in the car looking for it all the time or double back tape and tape it to your dash somewhere. I have very little landscape in my interior, so I nixed that one. To be truthful all that the car dealer and the garage opener people wanted to do was to sell me a new transmitter. So what I did which was the easiest for me was to buy a VHF commercial mobile no load antenna. I cut the whip to resonate at the 403 mhz frequency and mounted it outside. I can open the door now from the start of my driveway which is about 300 feet away. Good luck with your project...
Marty
Old 11-25-2012, 11:17 PM

honda civic
It should be translate it
Old 12-07-2012, 05:21 PM

1992 400E, 1997 SL500, 2009 R350, 1977 Ericson 32
Problem Resolved

I removed the insulation from the opener's antenna wire and it works OK now as long as I'm close to the garage door and the mirror is pointed directly at it. I can live with that.