SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: 1998 SL500 beeps whenever door is open

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 Mercedes SL500 Panorama/AMG Sport Pkg.
1998 SL500 beeps whenever door is open

Howdy!

I have been trying to get my SL to shut up.

It beeps from the dashboard area whenever the door is open.

I have to turn the key to "on" to stop it, and it's loud and unnecessary.

I have looked for a simple solution here and on other forums.

Is the car I have the problem, or do all the older SL's do this?

If anyone has advice and/or pics I would appreciate it.

Can it be a simple fuse removal, or a wire that can be cut without pulling the instrument cluster?

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-13-2012, 02:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 Mercedes SL500 Panorama/AMG Sport Pkg.
SL beeping

Well, I answered my own question today. If this has plagued you as it did me, it can be dealt with!
Some other brave souls have waded in and pulled the instrument clusters out of their cars, and silenced these maddening beasts. To them, I say BRAVO!
I, on the other hand, was not willing to push or pull hard enough, after some effort, to get that pod out, so I did what any self respecting macho guy would do; I called my mechanic and begged. And, I am pleased to report, it worked. For about the same price as a decent dinner for two, [minus adult beverages] I now have a completely silent entrance to my beloved chariot. It is a small, round, black piece of plastic that has been exorcised and I am FREE to vacuum, wipe down, and generally enjoy the interior of my beauty in perfect peace and quiet. Yeah, baby! The guy that did this told me he did not want to just clip a wire, but remove the offending screamer altogether so no electrical remnants like an unattended ground wire might cause problems. It all still works, so I assume I won't "hear from it" anymore. I want to thank James at MBCluster.com for helping me determine what I was looking for on the back of the instrument cluster, since my mechanic has never been asked to do this before, and needed a little coaxing. One of the benefits I have found with MBZ ownership is the general helpfulness of most of the owners and people who support us in our quest to keep our cars running well.