SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: R129 strong plastic burning smell

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R129 sl320 1998
R129 strong plastic burning smell

Gents, wonder if you can help, i have an r129 sl 320 98 model, after ive have had the aircon on for around 10min, i get a really strong plastic burning smell coming form the drivers side air vent!?

everything still works correctly and ive had a look underneath to see if its plastic bag or something... cant see anything like that.

any ideas?

also cant find a momo steering wheel boss for this car, does anybody know if the boss from an early 129 or maybe w210 e class fit?

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-23-2012, 03:21 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
94 SL 600, 98 993, 89 XJS Conv., 85 Daimlier Princess 16 Hybrid Lincoln 16 Chevy crewcab
the vent duct passes from the center to right or left with a plastic tube. I wonder if an electrical short is heating the duct to cause the odor? The space is tight in the dash!! When I have worked in the area I wished for thin and extra length fingers!
Good luck with tracking down the problem.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:43 AM

R129 sl320 1998
smell

I think im going to need some luck with this one!, can anybody tell me what is behind the dash in that area ( rhd drivers side vent/ headlight switch )
ie are there any specific components or relays in that area?
Old 12-24-2012, 10:52 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
94 SL 600, 98 993, 89 XJS Conv., 85 Daimlier Princess 16 Hybrid Lincoln 16 Chevy crewcab
A Happy holiday season to You. I have never dismantled the dash completely, RHD or Left! I have seen the backside of the dash when wiring exterior mirror turn LED's.
The fabric panel above the footwell, can be dropped down to access the instrument panel, several electrical circuit systems and air movement ducts. ( hood release and several 7mm bolts, facing the occupants and two ? threaded fasteners that pass thru the panel going up into the car dash framework, the panel, if not broken prior has a flange of plastic that slides into a notch, so don't rip anything down. If the plastic flange breakes you might need additional clip nuts and sheet metal screws to hold the panels from crushing your toes! been there, done that... if memory serves.
My earlier post was an electrical focused, heat generating concept, and that, so far has not been one of my cars SNAFU
Good luck on your quest. and a Happy New Year
Old 01-02-2013, 11:43 AM

R129 sl320 1998
Hey thanks for the detailed info! i have had a little look around and , the smell is not coming from the air ducts as i first suspected, its actually very strong outside from the drivers side, just under the windscreen..... only happens when the car is warm!
next i will remove the wheel and investigate, but its coming from under the screen and just above the fuse box!

Any suggestions?
Old 01-08-2013, 07:57 PM

sl500
My 97 sl500 has been in my family for years and it had the same smell. Didn't happen all the time and could very well have coincided with the climate control. I haven't smelled it in the 6 months I owned it. Don't know why it went away but I did clean out under the hood. Specifically the little live oak leaves that had amassed everywhere they could. I took the cowl vents off and apart, removed the cabin filter, and whatever else I could. Then, I blew everything out from behind the ww, the cowl, and vacuumed from behind the motor and in front of the cabin. Seemed like the crap down there was endless and I probably didn't get it all but since then no more odor. Could be cheaper just make sure your cabin air filter and everything is clean.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:00 AM

R129 sl320 1998
Following on from this, since i serviced the car, and i have changed all filters etc... the smell is not as strong as before! when removing the engine cover i did notice something had fallen onto the engine and looked like it melted, im still investigating but for the moment all is good!

on a side note, has anybody changed the light that goes around the electric seat switch drivers side, mine does not work and i checked with another owner with the same year/ car etc.. and his is the same! the passenger side does however light up?