SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Roll Bar not working with top - 1990 SL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roll Bar not working with top - 1990 SL

I recently had my soft top replaced and my roll bar re-upholstered. The roll bar light then came on but the roll bar worked with the roll bar button. The top went up and down a few times after that. Now the top does not go back (off) automatically. I took it to MB shop and they said the roll bar module needs replacing. Can that be the case when the roll bar works with button? They reset all the codes and states that the top module cant communicate with the roll bar. BUT the top does automatically come back up. Is there anything that could have gone wrong during the repairs? Now the roll bar isnt responding to catch any codes. Another shop says it may not be getting power. Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you.
Michelle, loves her 90 SL.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:33 PM
SPONSOR

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
03 SL Kleemann, 97 SL320 pano top, 95 Lorinser E320 Cabrio, Ferrari 360, Tesla X
Thumbs up Roll bar controller and soft top controller in early models

MichelleD,

welcome to the forum, and I'm glad you are otherwise happy with your car.

Just to clarify: model years '90-'94 have a separate controller for the roll bar and for the soft top. The soft top controller always controls the windows and the soft top functions. In model years '95 and younger, the soft top controller assumes all three functions. (In some countries, this would apply already to model years '94.)

If you can raise and lower the roll bar with the switch, then the roll bar controller has power.

The top is not supposed to move when the windows are up, or when the roll bar is up. You are stating that the top will not retract automatically any more, but that the roll bar is still moving with the roll bar button. You are also stating that the top will come up automatically. Before moving to expensive module replacement, let's cover a few simple things.

There is a good chance that there is a problem with the micro switch on the left bow extension cylinder. This should have been caught when reading codes, but maybe the shop was preoccupied with the roll bar controller.

I am bringing up the left bow extension micro switch because your top has been changed. It is quite common to get the switch damaged during that procedure. Here is how to check on it:
- Lift up the rear bow (the rear part of the soft top) and turn off the ignition. You may need to release the rear locks manually from the trunk, using the soft top tool.
- Move the rear bow back and forth along the highest point. The switch on the left bow extension cylinder (the cylinder that lifts up the rear bow) is supposed to click near the highest point. If you cannot hear the clicking, then you may have found the culprit. See http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129...ml#post4363007 for more details.

Please let us know what you find.

Klaus

www.tophydraulicsinc.com