SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: 1995 SL 500 light bulbs location

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedez 1995 SL500 r129, 1967 Camaro RS Convertible, 1971 Corvette Stingray T Top
1995 SL 500 light bulbs location

The "lamp out" yellow warning light on my dash comes on when I use my turn signals and remains on until I turn off the ignition. My turn signal lights illuminate when they are sellected however, they flash real fast.

My Mercedes dealerr service manager has told me twice that the fact that the "Lamp Out" yellow warning light comes on only when the turn signals are selected does not mean that there isn't another bulb out in the vehicle.

Can someone lead me to the location of all the light bulbs or lamps installed in my vehicle.

This is a very disturbing problem and I sincerely want to correct it.

Chetter here.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'96 SL600, '05 S55 AMG, '06 C230
It is my understanding that a 'fast flashing' turn signal indicates a burned out turn signal bulb. First question that comes to my mind is, does the 'fast flashing' occur when using the left or right turn signal? I suspect what your MB Service Manager was trying to tell you is that the yellow 'Lamp Out' warning light will illuminate when any outside bulb is attempted to use but is burned out. But 'fast flashing' is only associated with turn signals. Figure out which side has the problem, then operate the other side to see where the specific turn signal bulbs are located.
Cheers,
Jeff
Old 04-01-2013, 09:14 AM

Mercedez 1995 SL500 r129, 1967 Camaro RS Convertible, 1971 Corvette Stingray T Top
Ahoy Jeff... I appreciate your response to my request for assistance.

This is not the first time I have posted a message depicting my turn signal problem however, I received only one other response which proved not to offer a solution.

I have performed the following: 1) Read the owners manual which reflects the info as you stated... if the yellow light comes on when a "system" is activated that means the bulb that is out is in that system. i.e. in this case; turn signals. 2) yellow light comes on when either left or right turn is selected. 3) when emergency flashers are activated all four turn signal lamps flash normally.... 4) when master headlight switch is selected for right or left flash they flash normal flash. 5) received advice to use only Mercedes light bulbs which insures proper volt/candlepower/wattage, which I have replaced all turn-signal bulbs accordingly. 6) Contacted "eurotec" at .... justanswers web site.... who sells himself as a "Mercedes expert technician", whom I trust, and he has helped me with several issues. He suggested I pull a unit identified as "Lamp Control" and verify none of the "zillion" pins and sockets are corroded. Haven't done it yet. He also advised coating light bulbs and sockets with Dielectric Grease, which I have done.

A question that I have asked on this forum is.... how many light are suppose to flash on the rear of my car? My thinking being such that .... yes, I see "a" light flashing on the rear of the car when I activate turn-signals however, is it proper to only have the one light flashing for left turns and one light flashing for right turns on the rear?

Thanks again Jeff, and any others whom may offer suggestions.

Chetter sends
Old 08-31-2013, 10:49 PM

I have returned to my real world and would like to continue working on this "lamp out" turn signal problem on my R129. I have re-read the former post and feel that my problem and request for help have been described adequately....... however, someone please offer more suggestions of diagnosis which will help me solve the problem.

I only have two weeks to work on this problem, and then I will be away for the winter.

Thanks,,,,,,,, Chet sends
Old 09-03-2013, 11:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1998 SL500
FWIW, this is what happened to me.

The exterior lamp warning was on and the left signal was blinking fast--however both left front and rear signal lamps were flashing. Using the 4-way flashers I noticed that the left front lamp was not as bright as the right, and then found that the bright filament in that lamp was burned out.

It seems that the Exterior lamp failure monitoring module (N7 in the diagram below) is devised such that if a front turn signal filament burns out it will flash the clearance filament:

Replacing the front left clearance/signal lamp corrected the problem.

This may not be what is causing your problem, but something to ponder nonetheless...
Old 09-05-2013, 09:44 AM

1995 Mercedes sl320
Originally Posted by Chetter
The "lamp out" yellow warning light on my dash comes on when I use my turn signals and remains on until I turn off the ignition. My turn signal lights illuminate when they are sellected however, they flash real fast.

My Mercedes dealerr service manager has told me twice that the fact that the "Lamp Out" yellow warning light comes on only when the turn signals are selected does not mean that there isn't another bulb out in the vehicle.

Can someone lead me to the location of all the light bulbs or lamps installed in my vehicle.

This is a very disturbing problem and I sincerely want to correct it.

Chetter here.
You need to remove bulbs and clean the contacts on the bulbs and the sockets as well. Because of the oxide build up the grounding is interrupted. Personally, I would replace all bulbs if the contact dimples are worn.
Hope this was helpful
Old 09-05-2013, 10:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1998 SL500
Originally Posted by frankmolina165
You need to remove bulbs and clean the contacts on the bulbs and the sockets as well. Because of the oxide build up the grounding is interrupted. Personally, I would replace all bulbs if the contact dimples are worn.
Hope this was helpful
^Great advice, a corroded lamp base or socket will cause the same issue as a blowm lamp. A fiberglass abrasive brush is the best tool for cleaning the contacts in the lamp sockets. Blow them out after using the brush, then use a dab of dielectric grease on the lamp contacts and base to prevent future corrosion...