SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: seat switch help please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R129 sl320 1998
seat switch help please

Gents, i am having trouble with my drivers side seat switch, it works intermittently, only the headrest movement always works.

The seat motors fore and aft movement and the up/ down movement work correctly, because when i press the memory button, the seat moves into position correctly.

once i have pressed the memory button the switch fucntions correctly for a few minutes, then it will only move the seat forward a little then stop, or back a little then stop!!!

i have tried a new switch and its exactly the same symptoms.

could somebody tell me what and where the position switch and relay are and what they do exactly.

i have removed the seat cushions to examine and all of the motors are working correctly...... any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Old 05-16-2013, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl500
Just solved a problem with 97 SL's seat back adjustment. Had an issue with the driver's seat back only moving forward. It would only go back by pressing one of the memory buttons. I took the door panel off and removed the switch assembly. After pulling the cover off the individual switch that controls the seat back I noticed the mechanical operation of the switch was fine. When I closed the circuits of the switch with a probe I was able to make the seat back move rearwards. Next I moved that seat fully forward and up and now it works flawlessly. Until I did the full adjustment forward I was able to move the seat back too far back into the top well which isn't supposed to happen. After the full adjustment forward it avoids going too far back yet maintains full adjustment otherwise.
Try moving the seat fully forward and up with the door open and without yourself or any one else sitting in the seat. It might just work. Hope all this helps.