SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: power window - Soft top issues - need advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 mercedes benz 300sl
Unhappy power window - Soft top issues - need advice

I replaced the headgasket on my '90 300SL. I disconnected the battery , so as not to damage any electrical/electronic components. Having successfully replaced the headgasket and reconnecting the battery I find that the pass. side power window does not want to function and the soft top only comes up half way. Prior to the battery disconnect all worked well. Is there some sort of computer error code that needs resetting , or do I have other issues?
Old 06-16-2013, 02:11 PM
SPONSOR

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
03 SL Kleemann, 97 SL320 pano top, 95 Lorinser E320 Cabrio, Ferrari 360, Tesla X
If the windows don't open, then the top won't move overhead

Originally Posted by bclancy1
I replaced the headgasket on my '90 300SL. I disconnected the battery , so as not to damage any electrical/electronic components. Having successfully replaced the headgasket and reconnecting the battery I find that the pass. side power window does not want to function and the soft top only comes up half way. Prior to the battery disconnect all worked well. Is there some sort of computer error code that needs resetting , or do I have other issues?
Try the fuse in the trunk first. It could be as simple as a blown or corroded fuse for that window.

The windows and the soft top are controlled by the same module. The soft top will not move overhead if the windows are not down. Thus, the problem lies in the window not moving, and you have to find out why. I am not aware of situations where resetting codes on an early model R129 actually enabled the window function again. Just for completeness, here is how to read and reset codes on model years '90 and '91 with a paperclip: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/1386728-post12.html. (For models '92 through early '95, you would need an LED to count flashes from the controller, and for models (late) '95 - '02, codes need to be read and reset with Star Diagnosis aka SDS.)

Next step (if necessary): check if the window motor works. Remove the door panel, locate the connection block for the window power, and either check it for voltage when you are pushing the window button, or apply power to the motor directly from a 12VDC power source. Be careful, the motors draw some 20 amps.

Please let us know what you find.

Klaus

www.tophydraulicsinc.com
Old 06-16-2013, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 mercedes benz 300sl
power window not working Soft Top only goes up halfway

Found a blown fuse in the trunk for the pass. side window , replaced it and like magic everything works. this is one for the memory bank . Thanks Top Hydraulics for the help. greatly appreciated