Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

SL/R129: 1991 500SL COVERTIBLE TOP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1991 500 SL
Angry 1991 500SL COVERTIBLE TOP

On my car the convertible top has stopped working. The main ECU has been tested and is working properly. I have looked at the hydrolic fluid and it is good. All fuses are in working order as well as the up/down switch. This started in the last week. As far as I can tell the signal is being sent, there is a little noise and a little movement but it stops. It will now not engage the hard top or release the hard top also. I am fairly frustrated with this. All of the windows work up and down ect. I have tried resetting the windows and all of that. The battery is brand is brand new OEM so as not to mess with the electronics.

With that the warning chime has started going off and will not shut off if the vehicle is moving. I love this car but I am getting to the point where I would love to shoot the damn thing. Can anyone offer me suggestions on what to do for this thing.

I appreciate all of the help.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:47 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
94 SL 600, 98 993, 89 XJS Conv., 85 Daimlier Princess 16 Hybrid Lincoln 16 Chevy crewcab
From your write up, the top, hard or soft has worked in the past??
You stated that the ECU is working properly, so from that, the car operates??
You mention sound or minor movement, Is that because you are pushing or pulling the "top" button to move the top?
You mentioned the hydraulic fluid, so I assume you have removed the spare tire, removed the cover and observed the fluid in the plastic chamber attached to the pump?
The top controller is in the storage space behind the passenger seat in left hand drive vehicles ( I have only owned US market benz, so I have no experience with RHD version) and is not the ECU for the vehicle.
The pump for the top hydraulics does make a sound, but it is not loud, so having someone press the switch and another watch the pump in the trunk is one step.
You wrote about the "chime" That is a safety warning that the controller ( top is unsafe) has not completed its cycle.
The owners manual for my 94 has an excellent step by step process for soft and/or hard top removal or placement, that involves car in park, doors open, emergency brake activation, etc. I have also used the manual unlock tool when learning about the system, have you worked with the top wrench?
In the older R129 (89-95) the window sync is not a factor. If the windows go down then then the top locks release, and that is a notable POP.
Since I am clueless about your vehicle, I know that Klaus from TopHydraulics is often on the forum and I am certain he can ask you all the correct diagnostic questions to get you on the mend.
Where in the world are you??? and welcome to the forum.