SL/R129: Smoking Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volvo & Mercedes
Smoking Oil Leak

2001 SL500 / 52,600 mi.

As the title suggests, my planned sunny coastal drive was canceled due to an oil spill. Here are the details:

Three years ago, the left and right head gaskets were replaced because of a small seep on the driver's side of the engine. When I checked out the engine this Spring, the driver's side of the engine has seeped some oil onto the front of the exhaust manifold. Irritated because I replaced it not long ago, I decided to drive to warm up the seals, etc.

400 miles and two weeks of sitting later, the oil is back. This time I started the car and watched the area only to be shocked- a spurt of Mobil1 shot out from the seal, right next to a bolt, and onto the intake manifold, then into a cloud of smoke. It was only one spurt but clearly this is how it happens when the hood is closed. It is not enough oil to leave a spot under the car.

I reversed into the garage and shut her off. My questions for all of you:

Did my dealer not replace the gaskets?

If they did, why are they leaking again?

Given this condition, is it safe to drive it to a MB workshop?

For a mint condition car, this makes me nuts. Sitting next to her is a 41 year old SLC that has never leaked (or burnt) a drop of oil.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:07 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
94 SL 600, 98 993, 89 XJS Conv., 85 Daimlier Princess 16 Hybrid Lincoln 16 Chevy crewcab
Excellent questions no good answer.
I assume dealers do the job! and would take action if I had proof if they did not. I go to places I trust and often drop in to observe the work. ( if they want my money [ business]) I expect to be able to see some of the process.
My experience with MB gaskets and oil is they leak, and with the synthetic and 0-10 weights they spurt or seep ! I am an infrequent driver of several vehicles that I am very happy not to use the modern oils ( 10-30 or 20-50 are fine by me! )
I have had several 60-70's six cylinder benz that had valve shim problems and that was puffs of blue smoke from the exhaust.
I am happy for mint condition. but as an old guy, I live by the adage " rust never sleeps..."
Old 06-05-2014, 05:47 PM

Volvo & Mercedes
Thank you for the reply, SRH.

I took the car to the closet authorized shop, which happens to be a well-regarded indie shop. Indeed, the valve seals were leaking again after being replaced three years ago. As I expected, they could not tell me if the seals looked three years old or why they began leaking again. It feels like talking to doctors sometimes.

The dealer that replaced them the first time did my '73 SLC no favors and I have not been back since they replaced the valve gasket. Had I been at home when this happened, I would have forced the issue with them.

I agree, I expect to watch some of the work going on. On rare occasions, the mechanics are happy to tell me what they are doing while the service advisor would prefer I sit and watch the local news while cringing on terrible coffee.

I have a '73 SLC that at one point I wanted to use with Mobil1 but was scared off by an indie mechanic who said it would leak everywhere. At least through this experience I learned how to take the engine cover off, vacuum a nest out of an air intake tube, research the problem, and tell the dealer what the problem is. Although despite telling them exactly what was wrong, they still charged me the "diagnostic" fee. Thieves, all of them!
Old 06-06-2014, 10:54 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
94 SL 600, 98 993, 89 XJS Conv., 85 Daimlier Princess 16 Hybrid Lincoln 16 Chevy crewcab
Your SLC takes me back to early Army years in W. Germany. I had a factory fresh one Sept 1971 with the 8 cylinder 450 if memory serves, with American specs ready! It served us well, but sold to another serviceman. I thought the back seat would be very positive for touring. Not certain anyone ever ventured to that area!
Have you found East or West coast for better repair?
Old 06-06-2014, 11:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'06 E500, '99 ML430 and '07 SL65
I have to ask if you are sure that it was the head gaskets that was changed? Changing the head gasket is not uncomplicated and can be very expensive. Maybe it was the valve cover gasket?

In any case if you are just driving from home to the shop, you should be OK especially if it is just a slow seep.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:58 PM

Volvo & Mercedes
Your SLC sounds like mine. I have a '73 450 with metallic red exterior and cream interior. Those back seats would be cruel for anyone tall and/or heavy. I have only had passengers back there a few times but its great for extra luggage space!

As for East vs West coast, I do not have a large sample size but I have found that for older Mercedes' the East coast has more people who know the D-Jetronic system and have experience with the nuances of 107s, Pagoda, etc. I have had good luck with Volvo & BMW servicing in Southern California at indie shops.

sgaar:

Good question. It was the valve gaskets that were replaced three years ago because of the same problem but less noticeable. This time around, the leak was worse. The slow seep built up over the storage months and would burn off, returning to normal. This time the leak was a real leak when the engine was running, which is why I chose to stay as local as possible.

I will clean the area and watch it in case it happens again. I really hope it lasts longer than three years.