SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Mystery AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Mercedes-Benz E500 Sport
Exclamation Mystery AMG

Hey there, I'm rather new to Mercedes so i was wondering if any of you could answer some questions for me.

There is what looks to be a mid 90s Benz stamped SL500 AMG on the rear and I was wondering if any of you could tell me some specs on it. Google can't seem to answer much except that they seem to be fairly rare.

All I really know is its an automatic, and is branded AMG on the tail pipes and Rims so i think it`s authentic.

Any comments appriceated! Wondering if I should be trying to track down and buy it off the owner as it looks like a fun project car

picture included.

Cheers!

-Levi

Old 07-15-2014, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 400E, 1997 SL500, 2009 R350, 1998 SL500 (for sale)
Looking at that car, I would be skeptical. Only one rim in the picture appears to possibly be AMG, the other is not. Anyone can buy the AMG lettering from eBay and put it on a car. Same with tailpipes, or anything else, for that matter. One would also think that the owner of a real AMG would take better care of it.

What you really need to do is to research the VIN.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1992 500SL White V12 Conversion, 2014 Honda Rebel
just because you have a rare nice car doesnt make you take car of it. because the person that bought it money didnt matter. when it breaks they buy a new car. some owners take care of them some dont. its got a turn signal update which ARE NOT mercedes turn signals. it has an AMG body kit.. front bumper side skirts and spoiler... the car looks beat and probably will cost a fair amount to fix judging by its outward appearance.... the rear wheel is a 1992 or earlier wheel. they didnt make an SL500 in 1992 it was still 500SL and if AMG made a 500SL it was a 6.0 at the time i believe. its hard to say by one picture what it is but you can buy an amg body kit for cheap and wheels (which could be fake AMG) and other AMG badged parts.... i dont think a VIN will help you. if enough stuff is AMG id say its not a CLONE... More Pictures?
Old 07-19-2014, 09:08 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
SL500, GLC300
- that front bumper doesn't look to be fitting right around the fog lamps. could mean it is a durflex bumper or has been damaged.
- 1 AMG wheel and 1 non-AMG wheel makes me skeptical. were there 2 AMG wheels on the other side?
- rear spoiler; was their a gap between the top of the lights and bottom of the spoiler? gap = after market; not real AMG
- the AMG wheel; does the centre cap say "///AMG" or "AMG"? /// lines means it is not period correct for the wheel. also, is there an actual indent "AMG" in the one of the 5 spokes? if not; not a real AMG wheel.
- look at speedometer and see if it says AMG and goes to 300/320 km/h.

running the VIN will be useless as AMG was an aftermarket tuner in these days and the VIN wont tell you anything about that.

more pictures would be a good help. 1 blurry picture really isn't enough to tell anything definitive. also, it being in such rough shape makes me skeptical as well. generally speaking, genuine pre-merger AMG cars are in better shape then this.