SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: New member, new to me car, old problem.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 SL73
Question New member, new to me car, old problem.

Just bought a 96 SL73 a few weeks back, sat for 5 years, was imported to Canada 6 years ago from Japan, driven for 6 months then sat in a garage. No battery so didnt fire it up, didnt even try.

Heard of the many horror stories of wiring so I looked into the engine bay wiring before I attempted to even throw a battery in it. Of course all the trouble spots showed exactly what I expected. Throttle body wiring on both left and right rotted, MAF sensor wiring shot, followed all the way into the harness and shows improvement as it runs along fenders away from the engine.

I knew about the potential issues before I bought it, but it IS an SL73 AMG, so the hell with it, Im gonna resurrect this beast. I have all the spec wiring ordered and delivered, have spent the last month feverishly researching everything and have no issue with rewiring everything.

My issue is maybe the loss of the ECU. I was given no indication of why the previous owner stopped driving the car, other than the idea he may have thought the fuel pump stopped working, and at the time he and his wife was going through a divorce and it was her car, but he kept it hidden and parked.

The car is in nice shape, needs a power polish, and the front bumper needs to be replaced as the idiot tow truck driver didn't know how to deal with a car that sits that low to the ground.

So, if the ECU is shot, is there compatability with the SL600, or is there someone around that can fix these, or whats my resolve? I emailed Renntech and two weeks later no response at all from them, is that typical for them or are they ignoring me?

I wont know for sure until everything is rewired and back in before I can try to put power to it.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:30 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
94 SL 600, 98 993, 89 XJS Conv., 85 Daimlier Princess 16 Hybrid Lincoln 16 Chevy crewcab
nice project
I'm not an expert, I have not replaced a harness, but my people have! several!
The wiring problem for the 600 has extended into the E gas module and for a second time the throttle bodies have been replaced. I replaced with new, now for the second time. the mechanics speculation centers on poor design in materials ( wiring harness type insulation breakdown ) also within the parts not just the harness, and in resistor failure within the module. I am still buying new Benz parts but maybe MBGUS has found a way to rebuild with better design.
Glad you are not a quick fix and foll it out the door type. Good luck with your rehab of the vehicle
Old 03-24-2018, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'95 s500
oops , wrong post

Last edited by daddiojiggy; 03-24-2018 at 08:09 AM. Reason: wrong post