SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: windows stuck halfway

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 sl500
windows stuck halfway

Just before buying the car the windows worked fine but I asked to owner to demonstrate the manual soft top lowering procedure (car has a faulty control module). The front locks under the sun visors were released and I believe one of the rear locks but the procedure was not completed after I understood how it was done. Once the top was locked back in the windows would still lower and raise a small amount when the door was opened and closed but would no longer be raised or lowered by the window switches. I read that disconnecting the batteries negative end was a possible solution to this problem so let it sit disconnected for a while and today when I reconnected It I opened the door with the car off and it immediately lowered halfway then stopped. I turned the car on and tried to lower or raise it using the switch with but got no result for either window. Next, I opened the passenger door and the window immediately lowered to halfway just like the other had done. I read that a window synchronization may fix this and was achieved by raising both windows and holding the switch up for at least 2 more seconds but in my case they wont raise from their halfway position in the first place which brings me to my current situation. Sorry for the length but I'm trying my best to give a detailed description. I'm not able to find any information on this issue so any advice will be a great help. Thanks for your time.