SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Fan type noise from behind the dash..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 07:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95 SL 320
Fan type noise from behind the dash..

Driving down to Seattle, suddenly there's a noise from behind the right hand dash like a fan blade hitting the housing.

Driving back a week later after leaving the car parked....no noise....until about an hour later. The same noise, a BANG! as if a fan bearing had seized, and silence.

Heater/demister/fan speeds etc all work. Any suggestions from the experts?
Old 02-18-2015, 12:04 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
94 SL 600, 98 993, 89 XJS Conv., 85 Daimlier Princess 16 Hybrid Lincoln 16 Chevy crewcab
the blower for the HVAC system has a weak point in the motor mount. see the stickies for DIY repair in either "world" forums.
I used the word weak and that should be brittle because the attachment point usually breaks in its second decade!
A metal spring clip secures the motor and the plastic flange it snaps into breaks! To start this fun 6 hour adventure, raise the engine hood to straight up. Please remember plastic often breaks so removal and storage of all the parts around the wind screen air intakes and wiper motor removal and vac hose (engine fire wall) need to be renewed or salvaged carefully.
I have done two and feel the fun is worthy of the savings.
I cobbled together a new mounting T nut and bolt system, others have used twisted wire to secure!
Good luck or enjoy paying a shop for the time!
Old 02-18-2015, 12:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95 SL 320
Damn!

Thanks very much for the swift response, SRH! Much appreciated.

Thought it might be something like that. As I don't have a garage, I'll figure something out. As I said, fan is still blowing in all speeds and both hot and cold are working. Will check my warranty and see if this is covered.....can't really bend over the motor for 6 hours with my back...